Rows of students ages 6 to 14 sit cross-legged on a dusty cement floor inside a one-room government school in a rural village in the northwestern state of Rajasthan. It’s well over 90 degrees F. and there’s no electricity. A teacher stands in front of the class with a stub of chalk. She scrawls Hindi words on a broken blackboard while the students struggle to recite them.
Like millions of public school teachers across India, she only receives about nine months of training and has virtually no support from the government. According to a wide range of experts, India’s poor education infrastructure and lack of teacher training are major reasons many of the 100 million students in public schools across the subcontinent can’t read, write, or do basic arithmetic five years into their education. Though India has one of the fastest-growing economies in the world, a third of its population is still illiterate.
That’s what Azim Premji, an Indian business tycoon and philanthropist, hopes to change.
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Want to inspire? Send your stories to us at Ismailimail@gmail.com
Earlier & Related – Azim Premji at Ismailimail Archives:
- Apply now for IPN LaunchPad 2016 – a global conference for entrepreneurs and investors
- The Outstanding Achievement Award goes to Azim Premji | CNN-IBN Indian of the Year 2014
- Spirit of Service: India’s Top Philanthropists, Azim Premji Remains Most Charitable Indian! | Trak.in – Indian Business of Technology, Mobile & Startups
- Azim Hashim Premji: The most generous Indian
- Giving back: Eight innovative philanthropists around the world – The Bill Gates of India
- Azim Premji: The FP Top 100 Global Thinkers | Foreign Policy
- Wealth must have a definitive social purpose: Azim Premji
- Azim Premji receives Padma Vibhushan award
- Gates and Buffett show rich Indians how to help the poor | John Elliott | Independent The Foreign Desk Blogs
- Azim Premji: The bare-bones billionaire – The Globe and Mail
- BBC News – Wipro’s Azim Premji makes $2bn Indian charity gift
- Azim Premji endows new university in Bangalore, Karnataka Legislature passes Azim Premji University Bill
- Azim Premji at Davos
- American Chronicle | India: Tackle Muslim societies then terror
- Couple of Articles on Azim Premji
- Charlie Rose with Azim Premji
- Dale Carnegie recognizes and honors Azim Premji and his team at Wipro
- New book about Indian Ismaili Azim Premji
- Ismailis in the News: Azim Premji