The Ismaili Centre Toronto presents an informative and engaging lecture by Professor Hashim Sarkis. Using his emphasis on the integration of architecture with urban and landscape settings, Hashim Sarkis will give a talk about landscape architecture and its influence on Muslim societies, highlighting his work with the Aga Khan Trust for Culture.
EVENT: Landscape Architecture in Muslim Societies
DATE: Sunday, October 19th, 2014
TIME: 11:00 a.m. EST
VENUE: Ismaili Centre, Toronto, 49 Wynford Drive, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Lecture by Professor Hashim Sarkis, Aga Khan Professor of Landscape Architecture and Urbanism in Muslim Societies
Hashim Sarkis is an architect, an educator, and a scholar. He received his BArch and BFA from the Rhode Island School of Design in 1987, his MArch with distinction from the Harvard University Graduate School of Design (GSD) in 1989, and his PhD in architecture from Harvard University in 1995. Prior to establishing Hashim Sarkis Studios in 1998, Sarkis worked for several design firms, including for Rafael Moneo on the souks project of Beirut. Since 1995, Sarkis has been on the faculty of the Harvard University Graduate School of Design, where he teaches design studios and the history and theory of architecture. In 2002, he became the first Aga Khan Professor of Landscape Architecture and Urbanism in Muslim Societies at the GSD. Sarkis also directs the GSD’s Aga Khan Program.
Related Ismailimail, Aga Khan Trust for Culture:
- Aga Khan Development Network’s Impact in Syria: In the rubble, Aleppo’s citizens work to save battered heritage | Reuters
- Telangana State’s Legislative Assembly Member thanked Aga Khan Trust for Culture for restoration work at Qutub Shahi Tomb
- ‘Aga Khan Museum has a strong interest in Pakistan’ – Director Aga Khan Museum, Henry S. Kim
- Government to seek Unesco World Heritage status for Qutub Shahi tombs, restored by the Aga Khan Trust for Culture
- Event Jan 15: MIT Aga Khan Documentation Center visiting scholars to present talk on Refugee Architecture and Urbanism
- AKTC’s conservation of Humayun’s Tomb and area has positive impact to India’s tourism as Ratish Nanda honored with Excellence Award at Condé Nast Traveller Awards
- AKTC intervention of 11 Mughal garden tombs, UNESCO designated monuments of outstanding universal value, enhance & expand Humayun’s tomb world heritage site
- Aga Khan Trust for Culture to rebuild four more historic sites in Kabul, Afghanistan
- Aga Khan Music Initiative intervention guarantees that “Musical Thursdays” will continue to flourish at Mali National Museum
- Aga Khan Trust for Culture extends support to rescue the cultural assets and heritage of Syria
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 15,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
More on Upcoming Events:
All Related to Upcoming Events
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto