The Aga Khan University (AKU) took top honors in the Academic Libraries category and also scooped the overall prize for “Kenya Library of the Year – Maktaba Award” for 2014 while the the Aga Khan Academy, Mombasa Library (AKA, Mombasa) took top honors in the Private School Libraries category.
Maktaba Award was presented to the University at a colorful ceremony presided over by Dr. Auma Obama (President Obama’s sister) at the Louis Leakey Auditorium, National Museums of Kenya.
Peter Gatiti, the Aga Khan University Regional Librarian, explained, “The AKU library won over much larger university libraries essentially because of the quality of services provided, advanced use of technology and the services we render to the community beyond AKU. The selection process was rigorous and involved a series of impromptu visits, interviews with staff and library users, as well as a detailed examination of the services provided.”
The Maktaba Award is organized and supported by the Kenya Library Association, the GOETHE INSTITUT, Book Aid International, Worldreader, The Ministry of Sports, Culture and the Arts, Jomo Kenyatta Foundation and Radio Africa Group.
The award aims to recognize excellence in the provision of library and information services in Kenya. The introduction of a national library award in Kenya was driven by the realization of the key role that information plays in the modern world and the fact that Kenya is part of the global information society.
The library received a 50,000 Ks cash prize and a plaque for the “Academic Library of the year” award. For the Maktaba award (Overall Library of the Year), it received a trophy, a further 300,000 Ks cash award, an online label printer and 200 books in life sciences.
Associated: Aga Khan University Library
Established in 1983, the Health Sciences Library is regarded as one of the best equipped in the country and has been recognized by the WHO as a training centre. It updates its collection regularly to enhance student’s education and to make available the latest resource material for the faculty. The AKU FHS Library has 24X7 access to top quality research resources including e-databases, e-journals and e-books accessible through Internet, intranet and even from home through
About the Maktaba Award (Library of the Year)
This project is modeled on the German Library of the Year Award. Kenya is the first country in Africa to introduce an annual national award for libraries. It is for this reason that all the libraries that participate in the national Library of the Year Award (Maktaba Award) have every right to be proud of their achievement.
The Goethe-Institut Kenya, the Jomo Kenyatta Foundation and the Kenya Library Association organized the 5th edition of the Maktaba Awards (Library of the Year Awards) on 19th September 2014 at the Louis Leakey Auditorium of the National Museums of Kenya. Over 70 entries were received and winning libraries were awarded for innovation, application of modern ICT, preservation of indigenous knowledge, promotion of local content and provision of services to the local community.
2014 list of winners is as follows:
Aga Khan University Library
Mathare Youth Sports Association Library
1) Aga Khan University Library
(2) KCA University Library
(3) Dedan Kimathi University of Technology Library
Private School Libraries:
(1) Aga Khan Academy, Mombasa Library
(2) Makini Schools Library
(3) Victors Academy Gitimbine Library
Public School Libraries:
(1) Nairobi Primary School Library
(2) St. Francis Girls High School Mang’u Library
(3) Metkei Girls Secondary School Library
(1) Dr. Robert Ouko Community Memorial Library
(2) Amani Kibera Community Library
(3) Kenya National Library Services Kibera
(1) Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development Library
(2) National Museums of Kenya Nairobi Library
(3) Communications Authority of Kenya Library
(1) Kenya National Library Services Buru Buru
(2) Kenya National Library Services Nakuru
(3) Kenya National Library Services Meru
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 15,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
Earlier: Aga Khan University wins Goethe-Institut Kenyan Library of the Year Award
- Institute of Ismaili Studies announces merging of its library with the Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations
- University of Central Asia introduces Mobile Digital Library for the people of Naryn Oblast
- Muslim Journeys at Lakewood Public Library – Sufi Music Ensemble with Dr. Karim Gillani
- Public Library inaugurated in Faizabad, Afghanistan – Project implemented by Aga Khan Foundation
- The Library at Aga Khan Academy, Mombasa, Kenya – Instagram
Related Aga Khan Hospital Kenya
- Aga Khan A “modern” hospital in Kisumu, Kenya | Rsponder’s Blog
- BBC News – Asmita Gillani, Aga Khan Hospital Kenya: ‘Over 1,000 people have donated blood’
- What’s the right age to have a baby? – Aga Khan University Hospital, Kenya
- Investigation into the factors affecting the retention of nurses in Aga Khan University hospital Nairobi, Kenya
- Speech by His Highness the Aga Khan at the Inauguration of the Heart and Cancer Centre at the Aga Khan University Hospital, Nairobi, Kenya