With less than three days before the chance to vote closes, Ismailimail is proud to present a selection of comments received to date about World Mayor nominee Naheed Nenshi, Mayor of Calgary, Canada, published by the London based The City Mayors Foundation which awards The World Mayor Prize.
The winner and runners-up of World Mayor 2014 will be chosen based on the number of nominations in relation to the size of their cities and, more importantly, on the persuasiveness and conviction of testimonials received during this year’s World Mayor Project.
Canada’s only candidate, Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi has been short-listed for global recognition by the City Mayors Foundation. The London based philanthropic organization, released its final 26 nominees from its list of 121 mayors up for consideration, for the bi-annual World Mayor Prize to be awarded in January next year. Voting closes on October 31st, 2014.
Ismailimail provides excerpts from the first few.
Mayor Naheed Nenshi is an example of a model mayor who continuously displays the characteristics of honesty, integrity, generosity and inclusiveness. He accepts everyone regardless of religious background, gender, colour and socio economic status. He demonstrated exemplary leadership and commitment during the Alberta flood crisis and was able to help Calgarians get through this difficult time. I highly recommend Mayor Nenshi for world mayor.
– S J, Toronto
What can I say about Mayor Nenshi that hasn’t already been said? Likely not much, but I’ll add my thoughts. I have lived in many Canadian cities and have spent 20 years in Calgary. Never have I seen a mayor more beloved by the people – and he has earned it.
– Andrea S, Calgary
Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi is my choice for the 2014 World Mayor because he is intelligent, caring, sensitive and excellent mayor. He is the best mayor that Calgary has had so far and Calgarians are touched by his sensitive nature. He has sprung into action twice this year – during the 2014 floods in the city and during the recent electrical blackout. During both these events, he was there in person, shoulder to shoulder, heading a volunteer team of rescuers instead of ordering his staff to do the work. Nenshi has shown that he cares for the city and its residents and we hope he continues in office for a long time to come. He is also not afraid to fight with the provincial and federal governments to safeguard Calgary’s interests.
When we compare him to Rob Ford, ex-mayor of Toronto, we see clearly that Calgary has the best and many Canadian cities are envious of our mayor. Thank you.
– By Mansoor L, Calgary
Mayor Nenshi has been the most amazing mayor I have ever witnessed. I came to the University of Calgary three years ago and since being here I’ve been constantly inspired by Mayor Nenshi’s dedication to the community. In the floods in the summer before last our city was his first and only priority as we worked endlessly to bring relief, safety, and reassurance to the people in Calgary.
– Andrea O, Calgary
I throw mine and my family’s full support behind Mayor Nenshi to be the World Mayor 2014. Having lived both in Calgary and internationally and experienced some great Mayors, who have role modeled and motivated me, no one has inspired me like Mayor Nenshi. He has created significant change in Calgary and Calgarians are truly grateful and honored to be part of his team to make Calgary a better place to live, work and play. Building a better community for the future and our children and grandchildren.
– Maryann A, Calgary
Find out if your testimonial is listed
by clicking this link http://www.worldmayor.com/contest_2014/calgary-mayor-nenshi.html
World Mayor 2014 – Vote now – Every vote counts
Voting is now taking place for the winner of the 2014 World Mayor Prize and the runners-up. You are invited to vote by email – from the list of 26 finalists below – for the mayor you believe most worthy of the Prize and comment on his or her achievements. Please describe, preferably in English, why the mayor you voted for deserves to win the World Mayor Prize.
Voting closes on 31 October 2014.
Finalists from North America
• Mayor of Calgary, Canada – Mayor Naheed Nenshi
• Mayor of Houston, USA
• Mayor of Oklahoma City, USA
• Mayor of Sacramento, USA
Mayor Naheed Nenshi, Calgary, Canada
Support the candidacy of Mayor Nenshi by emailing us your reasons why he should win the 2014 World Mayor Prize. Please insert ‘Calgary Nenshi’ in the subject line and provide your name at the end of your testimonial. It can be your full name, first name or initials. Also tell us where you live. (Mayor Nenshi has signed up to the Code of Ethics)
Voting closes in October 31st, 2014
- World Mayor 2014 Testimonials for Naheed Nenshi Mayor of Calgary (Canada)
- Meet The Mayors From Around The World Transforming Their Cities
- World Mayor 2014
- Shortlist World Mayor 2014
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 15,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
All related to Mayor Naheed Nenshi on Ismailimail
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s tribute to Calgary Mayor, Naheed Nenshi on receiving Mosaic Institute’s 2017 Honorary Peace Patron
- Watch Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi Live Online: Three things for Canada
- Public Policy Forum honours Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi as Exemplary Canadian
- Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi’s Easter Sunday Sermon (Audio)
- Available on Amazon Canada: Mansoor Ladha’s Memoirs of a Muhindi: Fleeing East Africa for the West
- Calgary Mayor Nenshi delivers Easter sermon
- Mosaic Institute to honor Calgary Mayor, Naheed Nenshi, recipient of the World Mayor Award as the 2017 Honorary Peace Patron
- 6 Degrees event video: Citizen Space 2016: Prosperity in Cities: A conversation among Mayors featuring Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi
- 6 Degrees event video: Citizen Space 2016: Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi shares his experience & ideas on “Inclusion”
- Finding unity in diversity vital to our progress | Sheila Flood
- Full house for “Wellness Matters” dialogue with Mayor Nenshi & Khalil Shariff
- New Calgary Tourism video features Ismaili breakfast, mayor Naheed Nenshi
- Islamic History Month: An Interview with Naheed Nenshi | Canadian Museum for Human Rights
- Wellness Matters: A Dialogue with Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi and Khalil Shariff, CEO Aga Khan Foundation Canada
- Six Degrees Citizen Space 2016: Prosperity in Cities: A Conversation Among Mayors (with Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi)
- Organizers of Arusha Ismaili Reunion in Calgary lauded for a most memorable event!
- Inauguration of Calgary Westwinds Ismaili Jamatkhana
- Axworthy Distinguished Lecture Series, Mayor Naheed Nenshi
- His Worship Mayor Nenshi’s Letter to Canada: “Our greatest strength is each other, and we are strongest together.”
- Naheed Nenshi: First Muslim mayor of a major North American city
- Why Canada Loves Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi
- The dozen who will dominate politics in 2016 | Toronto Star
- Fair Goods introduces Mayor Nenshi’s Mug to benefit Calgary Food Bank
- Interview: Naheed Nenshi on Syrian refugees and anti-Muslim attacks | Mcleans.ca
- Calgary Public Library Foundation presents limited-edition Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi LEGO mini figure
- When Canada Works, It Works Better Than Anywhere – Calgary Mayor Nenshi: Complete Speech of the 2015 LaFontaine-Baldwin Symposium
- Complete Event Video of the LaFontaine-Baldwin Symposium featuring Mayor Naheed Nenshi’s Lecture
- Mayor Naheed Nenshi on LaFontaine-Baldwin Symposium
- Sherry Mason’s Storify – Nenshi Inspires at LaFontaine-Baldwin Symposium
- Twitter Report: Calgary’s “World Mayor” Naheed Nenshi at LaFontaine-Baldwin Symposium