Dr. Glenn Lowry, the Director of the Museum of Modern Art, New York City, and a scholar of Islamic art, discusses the ways in which contemporary artists have engaged with recent events in the Middle East.
EVENT: Dr. Glenn Lowry – Lecture – Making History: Contemporary Art in the Middle East
DATE: Wednesday, November 5th, 2014
TIME: 9:00 a.m. EST – 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. EST
VENUE: Aga Khan Museum, 77 Wynford Drive, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
About Dr. Glenn Lowry
Glenn Lowry is an art historian from the United States and Director of The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City.
Among the major exhibitions that have taken place during Mr. Lowry’s tenure at MoMA are Richard Serra Sculpture: Forty Years (2007), Manet and the Execution of Maximilian (2007), Edvard Munch: The Modern Life of the Soul (2006), Pioneering Modern Painting: Cézanne and Pissarro 1865-1885 (2005), Matisse Picasso (2003),Mies in Berlin (2001), and Jackson Pollock (1998-1999).
A noted scholar of Islamic arts and architecture, Mr. Lowry was previously Director of the Art Gallery of Ontario (1990-1995) and Curator of Near Eastern Art at the Smithsonian Institution’s Arthur M. Sackler Gallery and Freer Gallery of Art (1984-1990) where he organised, among other exhibitions, Timur and Princely Vision: Persian Art and Culture in the Fifteenth Century (1989) and A Jeweler’s Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection (1988).
Mr. Lowry’s many honours include honorary doctorates from the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (2000) and The College of William and Mary (2009), Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (1994) and Officier de l’Ordre des Arts et Lettres (2001) from the French government, and the Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Studies Award (1990). Mr. Lowry is also a member of the American Academy of Arts and Science and American Philosophical Society.
Spanning over the last ten years, Mr. Lowry has also served as a member of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture’s Steering Committee for several award cycle (9th -12th award cycles).
Related Ismailimail, Dr. Glenn Lowry
Related Ismailimail, Aga Khan Museum:
- Doors Open 2018 at the Aga Khan Museum
- How to plan your visit this summer to the Aga Khan Museum
- Ismaili Centre Toronto: Book Launch & Exhibition Tour with Dr. Shainool Jiwa – The Fatimids: The Rise of a Muslim Empire
- Salim Nensi’s Aga Khan Museum and Park photograph | Toronto.com
- Special Good Friday Event at the Aga Khan Museum
- Egypt’s Fatimid dynasty pieces on display | Shine News China
- BBC – The World of the Fatimids: What did the height of luxury look like in the 10th Century?
- The Aga Khan Park in Toronto includes three distinct stone elements
- Landmark Exhibition Takes You Inside the Exuberant, Diverse World of the Fatimid Dynasty | Smithsonian
- Aga Khan’s Fatimid exhibit unearths a civilization of wonder | The Globe and Mail
All Related to Upcoming Events
- Vanderbilt University presents Speech and Space: Discursive Environments across Non-Arab Islam
- What people are saying about the Prince Sadruddin biography by Diana Miserez
- Talking to Diana Miserez, author of Prince Sadruddin’s biography and Nicola Spafford Furey, VP of Earth Focus Foundation one day before the book launch event at the UN
- Prince Sadruddin’s Constellation of Honors: Decorations & Distinctions
- Contemplate: Prince Sadruddin’s inspiring 1975 address to the newly settled Ismaili community in Canada
- Reflection: French Minister of Culture pays tribute to Prince Sadruddin as he decorates His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan and Prince Amyn with honours
- Retrospective: 1988 Interview with Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan Co-ordinator for United Nations Humanitarian and Economic Assistance Programmes relating to Afghanistan
- eBook of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s biography now available worldwide
- UN Library hosts book launch of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan at the Palais des Nations, Geneva on April 20
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
More on Upcoming Events:
All stories from Ismailimail reporting from Toronto:
Accelerate your Awareness – Explore, Discover and Learn more about the Aga Khan Projects in Toronto
Ismaili Centres Series (Perspectives on matters of the Intellect, Knowledge and Wisdom)
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 15,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!