Dr. Glenn Lowry, the Director of the Museum of Modern Art, New York City, and a scholar of Islamic art, discusses the ways in which contemporary artists have engaged with recent events in the Middle East.
EVENT: Dr. Glenn Lowry – Lecture – Making History: Contemporary Art in the Middle East
DATE: Wednesday, November 5th, 2014
TIME: 9:00 a.m. EST – 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. EST
VENUE: Aga Khan Museum, 77 Wynford Drive, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
About Dr. Glenn Lowry
Glenn Lowry is an art historian from the United States and Director of The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York City.
Among the major exhibitions that have taken place during Mr. Lowry’s tenure at MoMA are Richard Serra Sculpture: Forty Years (2007), Manet and the Execution of Maximilian (2007), Edvard Munch: The Modern Life of the Soul (2006), Pioneering Modern Painting: Cézanne and Pissarro 1865-1885 (2005), Matisse Picasso (2003),Mies in Berlin (2001), and Jackson Pollock (1998-1999).
A noted scholar of Islamic arts and architecture, Mr. Lowry was previously Director of the Art Gallery of Ontario (1990-1995) and Curator of Near Eastern Art at the Smithsonian Institution’s Arthur M. Sackler Gallery and Freer Gallery of Art (1984-1990) where he organised, among other exhibitions, Timur and Princely Vision: Persian Art and Culture in the Fifteenth Century (1989) and A Jeweler’s Eye: Islamic Arts of the Book from the Vever Collection (1988).
Mr. Lowry’s many honours include honorary doctorates from the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts (2000) and The College of William and Mary (2009), Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (1994) and Officier de l’Ordre des Arts et Lettres (2001) from the French government, and the Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Studies Award (1990). Mr. Lowry is also a member of the American Academy of Arts and Science and American Philosophical Society.
Spanning over the last ten years, Mr. Lowry has also served as a member of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture’s Steering Committee for several award cycle (9th -12th award cycles).
Related Ismailimail, Dr. Glenn Lowry
Related Ismailimail, Aga Khan Museum:
- Inspired by the Fibonacci staircase at the Aga Khan Museum, YuMee Chung demonstrates the ‘Upward Spiral’ yoga pose
- Deadly Struggle & Peace, New York Times on Aga Khan Museum’s acclaimed exhibition Syria: A Living History
- Visit Aga Khan Museum – Toronto’s 101 city insiders reveal their favorite things to do in the city | Air Canada enRoute
- Canada is using art to build bridges with Syrian refugees, while the rest of the world builds walls to keep them out – Aga Khan Museum & Institute for Canadian Citizenship serve as models
- YuMee Chung demonstrates the ‘Elbow Room’ yoga stretch at Aga Khan Museum’s Diwan Restaurant
- Aga Khan Museum wins Urban Vitality Award in recognition of its architectural contribution to GTA and its outstanding relationship to Toronto’s multicultural identity
- On Arts Toronto, host Mark Wigmore of JAZZ.FM 91 interviews Henry Kim on Aga Khan Museum’s exhibition, Syria: A Living History
- Ismaili Centre, Toronto inspires YuMee Chung to demonstrate a dramatic version of the classic yoga ‘Pyramid Pose’
- Aga Khan Museum wins 2016 Urban Vitality Award from the Canadian Urban Institute
- Free admission for Syrian refugees to Aga Khan Museum exhibit | Inside Toronto
All Related to Upcoming Events
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
More on Upcoming Events:
All stories from Ismailimail reporting from Toronto:
Accelerate your Awareness – Explore, Discover and Learn more about the Aga Khan Projects in Toronto
Ismaili Centres Series (Perspectives on matters of the Intellect, Knowledge and Wisdom)
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 15,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!