The Politics of Sectarianism in the Middle East
By Dr Toby Matthiesen
Research Fellow in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies, Pembroke College, University of Cambridge
EVENT: The Politics of Sectarianism in the Middle East
DATE: Tuesday, November 4th, 2014
TIME: 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m GMT
VENUE: The Aga Khan University – Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (AKU – ISMC), 210 Euston Road, London NW1 2DA
About Toby Matthiesen
Toby Matthiesen is a Research Fellow in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies at Pembroke College, University of Cambridge.
He was previously a Research Fellow at the London School of Economics and Political Science.
His first book “Sectarian Gulf: Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the Arab Spring That Wasn’t” was published by Stanford University Press in 2013 and examines how the Gulf states responded to protests at home and in the wider Arab world.
From 2007 to 2011 he wrote his doctorate on the politicisation of Saudi Arabia’s Shia community at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. His second book, “The Other Saudis: Shiism, Dissent and Sectarianism”, which is based on his PhD, is published in 2015 by Cambridge University Press.
About Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations
Aga Khan University Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations (AKU-ISMC) provides a multifaceted approach to the study of Muslim civilisations – within a framework of world cultures and through the humanities and social sciences – allowing for a wider analytical and comparative perspective. This approach is reflected in a post-graduate master’s programme, professional programmes and through quality research and publications. It is reinforced by a unique bibliographical project, the Muslim Civilisations Abstracts.
All Related to Upcoming Events
- What people are saying about the Prince Sadruddin biography by Diana Miserez
- Talking to Diana Miserez, author of Prince Sadruddin’s biography and Nicola Spafford Furey, VP of Earth Focus Foundation one day before the book launch event at the UN
- Prince Sadruddin’s Constellation of Honors: Decorations & Distinctions
- Contemplate: Prince Sadruddin’s inspiring 1975 address to the newly settled Ismaili community in Canada
- Reflection: French Minister of Culture pays tribute to Prince Sadruddin as he decorates His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan and Prince Amyn with honours
- Retrospective: 1988 Interview with Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan Co-ordinator for United Nations Humanitarian and Economic Assistance Programmes relating to Afghanistan
- eBook of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s biography now available worldwide
- UN Library hosts book launch of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan at the Palais des Nations, Geneva on April 20
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 16,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
All Related to Aga Khan University:
- Aga Khan Students from Pakistan achieve top results nationwide
- Master of her own destiny, saviour of others – Lesser-known details of Dr Ruth Pfau’s early life
- Aga Khan University’s Honoree, German doctor and nun, Ruth Pfau passed away at the age of 87
- The Heart of a Midwife (Video)
- Aga Khan University: Exploring community midwives’ perceptions of their work experience after deployment in the rural areas of Chitral, Pakistan
- Ivy League University Harvard partners with the Aga Khan University’s Graduate School of Media and Communications (GSMC)
- Health has a new home: A new life begins in Bamiyan Provincial Hospital
- Tanzania: Aga Khan University Set to Build Two More Campuses
- Dr Shenila Khoja-Moolji to deliver Kazim Bacchus Research Seminar: Decolonizing Teacher Education in Pakistan
- Being a Surgeon: New Book by Chair, Department of Surgery at the Aga Khan Hospital Nairobi, asks the hard questions doctors face
- UBC Professor works with AKU colleagues to make change in East African Classrooms
- Aga Khan Hospital Mombasa Introduces Affordable Care For Heart Diseases In The Coast Region
- ‘Topping Out’ Ceremony Performed for AKDN’s Academic Building in London, King’s Cross
- Princess Zahra Aga Khan & the First Lady of Kenya Inaugurate new State-of-the-Art Heart Laboratory
- Aga Khan Hospital Nairobi merges quality and efficiency with mission
- AKU’s Graduate School of Media and Communications Documentary wins at film festival
- University of Alberta’s growing partnership with Aga Khan University Hospital in Kenya
- Historical Photograph: President Ziaul Haq gives the charter to the Aga Khan University
- Two faculty members of Aga Khan University Pakistan were decorated with prestigious national awards
- Dr Tashmin Khamis of AKU appointed as a member of the Global Teaching Excellence Award judging panel