The Aga Khan Museum’s art historians present a lecture series introducing the arts of Muslim civilizations through the Museum’s Permanent Collection.
Gain a new perspective on Aga Khan Museum’s Permanent Collection through this illustrated talk with Head of Education and Scholarly Programs, Dr. Ruba Kana’an.
Free with admission!
EVENT: Lecture – Objects of Desire with Dr. Ruba Kana’an
DATE: Wednesday, November 12th, 2014
TIME: 1:00 p.m. EST – 2:00 p.m. EST
About Ruba Kana’an
Ruba Kana’an is the Head of Research and Publications at the Aga Khan Museum, Toronto, Canada. She is a specialist on the urban histories of pre-modern Muslim societies, and the interface between art and law in Muslim contexts. She has a BSc. in architecture (Jordan), and an MPhil and a DPhil in Islamic art and architecture from Oxford University.
She has taught extensively at the graduate and undergraduate levels on various aspects of Islamic art and architecture (7th –19th centuries); in 2007 she developed, wrote and taught Oxford University’s first on-line course in Islamic Art and Architecture.
Kana’an’s research projects include a study of institutions of architectural patronage in Ottoman Palestine and the manner in which pre-modern Muslim societies created civic space. This research formed the basis of two articles published in the journals Levant (2001) and Muqarnas (2001). Her research has taken her to Oman where she carried out a comprehensive survey of Oman’s historical mosques, focusing on their socio-legal development and artistic influences.
An important aspect of this survey concerning the uniquely decorated mihrabs of Ibadhi mosques is published in Islamic Art in Oman (2008). Most recently, her interest in the confluence between art and law in Muslim contexts has led to the reassessment of the relationship between artist and patron in medieval Muslim societies; she has carried out a study of the production and patronage of pre-Mongol metalwork in Iran and Central Asia, examining evidence from medieval compendia of contract law and artists’ signatures (Islamic Law and Society, 2009 and forthcoming in Ars Orientalis).
She is currently co-editing a book titled Places of Worship and Devotion in Muslim Societies and completing a volume entitled The Arts of Medieval Muslim Societies: 10 Key Masterpieces. Kana’an is an editor for a new book series entitled Islam and Muslim Societies in the Medieval and early Modern Period.
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 17,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now
Related Ismailimail, Aga Khan Museum:
- Aga Khan Museum Opens Landmark Exhibition on One of the Muslim World’s Greatest Civilizations
- Family Day 2018 at the Aga Khan Museum
- Hussein Janmohamed at the Aga Khan Museum: Bringing together global sound into a unified musical experience
- Real Weddings: Multicultural celebration at the Aga Khan Museum
- Aga Khan Museum Toronto Unveils Full 2018 Exhibitions Schedule
- Behind-The-Scenes installation of Mongolian yurt at the Aga Khan Museum
- Aga Khan Museum embraces music to express ‘intangible culture’ | Toronto Star
- Aga Khan Museum’s Curator’s Tour: “Arts of the East” with Dr. Filiz Çakır Phillip
- Experience Yemen Blues at the Aga Khan Museum
- Have You Visited Aga Khan Museum Shop Online?
All Related to Upcoming Events
- Vanderbilt University presents Speech and Space: Discursive Environments across Non-Arab Islam
- What people are saying about the Prince Sadruddin biography by Diana Miserez
- Talking to Diana Miserez, author of Prince Sadruddin’s biography and Nicola Spafford Furey, VP of Earth Focus Foundation one day before the book launch event at the UN
- Prince Sadruddin’s Constellation of Honors: Decorations & Distinctions
- Contemplate: Prince Sadruddin’s inspiring 1975 address to the newly settled Ismaili community in Canada
- Reflection: French Minister of Culture pays tribute to Prince Sadruddin as he decorates His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan and Prince Amyn with honours
- Retrospective: 1988 Interview with Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan Co-ordinator for United Nations Humanitarian and Economic Assistance Programmes relating to Afghanistan
- eBook of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s biography now available worldwide
- UN Library hosts book launch of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan at the Palais des Nations, Geneva on April 20
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
More on Upcoming Events:
All stories from Ismailimail reporting from Toronto:
Accelerate your Awareness – Explore, Discover and Learn more about the Aga Khan Projects in Toronto
Perspectives on matters of the Intellect, Knowledge and Wisdom
Recently Featured at Ismailimail:
Click on individual pictures to browse all related posts.