Dr. Amyn Sajoo, Scholar-in-Residence at the Centre for Study of Muslim Societies & Cultures at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada, will present on what plagues Muslim societies today.
From Afghanistan and Pakistan to Bahrain, Syria, Yemen, Iraq and Lebanon, violent conflict over sectarian identities — primarily but not exclusively between Shi‘a and Sunni — today plagues Muslim societies.
… This lecture will open ‘Pandora’s Box’ in its interrogation of the conflictual landscape — and the prospects for pluralist governance and identities.
EVENT: Pandora’s Sectarian Box: Myth and Reality
DATE: Thursday, 13 November 2014
TIME: 14:30 GMT
VENUE: Virtual Webcast & Room 2:1 (2nd Floor) The IIS, 210 Euston Road, London, NW1 2DA, UK
About Amyn Sajoo
Dr. Amyn Sajoo is Scholar-in-Residence at the Centre for Study of Muslim Societies & Cultures at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, Canada. He was previously affiliated with Cambridge and McGill universities, the Canadian Department of Justice, and the Institute of Ismaili Studies (IIS), London — and is the founding editor of the IIS’s Muslim Heritage Series. Dr. Sajoo was Canadian Visiting Scholar in Egypt, Jordan and Syria on the eve of the ‘Arab Spring’, and has guest lectured across Europe, North America and West Asia. He is the author of Muslim Ethics: Emerging Vistas and Pluralism in Old Societies and New States — and the editor of five books, including Muslim Modernities and the forthcoming volume, The Shi’a World: Pathways in Tradition and Modernity.
Related Amyn Sajoo at Ismailimail:
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 16,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
All Related to Upcoming Events
- What people are saying about the Prince Sadruddin biography by Diana Miserez
- Talking to Diana Miserez, author of Prince Sadruddin’s biography and Nicola Spafford Furey, VP of Earth Focus Foundation one day before the book launch event at the UN
- Prince Sadruddin’s Constellation of Honors: Decorations & Distinctions
- Contemplate: Prince Sadruddin’s inspiring 1975 address to the newly settled Ismaili community in Canada
- Reflection: French Minister of Culture pays tribute to Prince Sadruddin as he decorates His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan and Prince Amyn with honours
- Retrospective: 1988 Interview with Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan Co-ordinator for United Nations Humanitarian and Economic Assistance Programmes relating to Afghanistan
- eBook of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s biography now available worldwide
- UN Library hosts book launch of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan at the Palais des Nations, Geneva on April 20
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto