In 2010 Baig became the first person to scale the 6,000-metre Chashkin Sar peak in northern Pakistan and the mountain is now named “Samina Peak” in her honour.
In May 2013, Samina Baig became the first women from Pakistan to reach the summit of Mount Everest and in the following eight months she broke additional records to became the first Pakistani woman to climb the seven highest peaks in seven continents (7 Summits).
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Monday congratulated Samina Baig on becoming the first woman from the country to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
The 22-year-old Baig, from the small town of Shimshal in the Hunza valley in Pakistan’s mountainous north, scaled the 8,848 metre (29,029 feet) peak early on Sunday after a gruelling expedition in rough weather.
“She is a brave girl who summited the peak and sent us a message of her achievement and all of Pakistan is feeling proud of her. She used her own resources and despite rough weather and fears of avalanche she never lost courage.”
– Karrar Haidri, member executive council of Pakistan Alpine Club (PAC)
Pakistan is home to five of the world’s 14 peaks over 8,000 metres, including the world’s second-highest mountain, K2.
Read Ismailimail Exclusive:
Earlier & Related on Samina Baig at Ismailimail
- Mountaineer Samina Baig appointed as UNDP National Goodwill Ambassador for Pakistan | UNDP
- Samina Baig & Mirza Ali: Pakistan Youth Outreach Launches First Gilgit Baltistan Film Festival
- Pakistan’s renowned mountaineer, Samina Baig leads first national women winter expedition
- In memory of Muhammad Khayal Baig, father of Mountaineer duo Samina Baig and Mirza Ali: An Inaugural Cricket/Football Tournament
- Serena Hotels Hunza Marathon 2016 Campaigns Against Substance Abuse
- Hunza Marathon for youth
- Princess Zahra and Prince Rahim Aga Khan at the Ismaili National Council Pakistan’s Institutional Dinner
- Los Angeles Times’ Video Feature on Samina Baig & Mirza Ali reaching the summit of Mt. Everest
- First Pakistani woman to summit Everest encourages women to ‘climb their own mountains’ – LA Times
- Samina Baig, the first Pakistani woman to climb Mount Everest | Chicago Tribune
Earlier & Related on Women & Leadership at Ismailimail
- Majlis With Zainub Jenna Bata – Interactive Conversations | Mother of the Nation Festival, Abu Dhabi
- Women’s History Month on Archnet
- Peace Hero: Mobina Jaffer, The Canadian Senator Who has been Championing Women in Peace and Security for Years
- Aga Khan Music Initiative premieres Qyrq Qyz (Forty Girls): Celebrating Powerful Women and Women’s Power
- Personal Journeys – Gulshan Harjee
- Zabeen Hirji Announced as New Chair of CivicAction
- The Women in Public Service Project Welcomes Anar Simpson to its Advisory Council
- Roxana Jaffer recognized for her work in U.N’s Sustainability Development Goals | Global Compact Network UAE
- Aroosa and Farhad Hakim Ally: Photographers seeks to change Pakistan’s image
- Nahla Valji honoured for Significant Contributions to the field of International Gender Justice
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 17,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!
Recently Featured at Ismailimail: