The Ismaili Centre, Lisbon was inaugurated on July 11, 1998 by Portugal’s President Jorge Sampaio in the presence of Mawlana Hazar Imam. In his address, Mawlana Hazar Imam reflected on the core values of the Ismaili community and his role as Imam:
“The array of facilities included is a reflection of the core values of the Ismaili community, its organisation, its discipline, its social conscience, the importance of its community organisations, and its attitude toward the society in which it exists.
Islam teaches Muslims to strive to achieve equilibrium between human existence and the Absolute, and therefore to attend to both spiritual and physical needs.
As Imam of the Shia Ismaili Muslims, my responsibilities extend to both the spiritual and the material welfare of the Ismaili community.
Although my faith and office place upon me a distinctive perspective and role, I am most certainly not alone in my concern about the pace and direction of change at this moment in history.
Social harmony coupled with the freedom and respect of religious expression is a prerequisite for all human progress.”
– Mawlana Hazar Imam, Ismaili Centre, Lisbon July 11, 1998
Read full speech at http://www.theismaili.org/ismailicentres/speech-opening-ceremony-lisbon
Research by Nimira Dewji
Related Nimira Dewji at Ismailimail Archives:
- Fatimid craftsmen were the earliest to make large-scale decorative lustreware items
- Did you know that Ibn Sina’s “Canon of Medicine” was used as a standard medical textbook in European universities for 700 years?
- Rock crystal has been used to represent the visible and the invisible since ancient times
- Did you know that Aga Khan Development Network provides electricity to 10 million people in developing countries?
- Did you know that Aga Khan Foundation assists artisans in marginalised communities in Mozambique?
Jamatkhanas in Europe
UK & Denmark
Don’t see your Jamatkhana?
Inspire us …
Send us your picture(s) and story(s) – follow this link for instructions
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the Noorani Family, the world wide Ismaili Jamat and all their endeavors and successes.
Learn how to subscribe and join 17,000 + other amazing people – Subscribe now!