A robust civil society is key to ensuring governments are responsive and accountable to their population.
Civil society is growing exponentially in countries with weak governance to address gaps in service delivery and social protection.
- But how effective is civil society in achieving its goals? Are there new ways to understand and strengthen civil society?
- How can citizens and civil society work collaboratively with government to solve problems?
Speakers from the World Bank’s Global Partnership for Social Accountability (GPSA) and other guests will attempt to answer these questions and more.
EVENT: Adaptation and Innovation: Canada’s contributions to Humanitarian Response
DATE: Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014
- Paul Samson, Assistant Deputy Minister, Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development
- Roby Senderowitsch, Head of the Global Partnership for Social Accountability, The World Bank
- Almudena Ocejo, the Executive Director of the Centre for Social Control and Democratic Construction at CIESAS in Mexico
- Sajjadur Syed Rahman, Senior Fellow, School of International Development and Global Studies, Ottawa University
TIME: 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. EST. Light refreshments to follow
VENUE: Delegation of the Ismaili Imamat, 199 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Join Aga Khan Foundation Canada and the Global Partnership for Social Accountability for a presentation and panel discussion on the current state of civil society and recommendations for new perspectives on future engagement. The seminar will also launch the GPSA report Social Accountability: What Does the Evidence Really Say? Paul Samson, Assistant Deputy Minister, Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, will provide opening remarks.
Related All Upcoming Events:
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Subscribe and join 17,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!