“This far flung community is characterized despite geographical distances, by its coherence and organization, by its unwavering progressiveness, and by its universal commitment to the welfare of the less fortunate …
The Ismaili community is noteworthy also for its tradition, deeply embedded in its values and in its very ethos, of the individual voluntarily donating his or her time, effort, intellect, and material resources in the service of others.
A religious minority in virtually every country where it finds itself, the community has always been apolitical, with a history of loyalty to each country in which it resides and enviable reputation of active engagement – as good citizens – in constructively promoting the well-being of its neighbours, irrespective of their faith, race, or origin.”
– Prince Amyn Aga Khan
Lisbon, Portugal, February 1996
Prince Amyn visited Lisbon, Portugal, in connection with developments that will affect the future activities of the Aga Khan Development Net-work (AKDN) and of the Jamat in Portugal. In his capacity as a Director of the Aga Khan Foundation, Prince Amyn hosted a gala dinner organized by AKF (Portugal) to highlight the Foundation’s work in the country, at which then-President Mario Soares was the chief guest. Also attending the function, were President Jorge Sampaio, senior cabinet ministers, representatives of the diplomatic corps, as well as of various international and local non-governmental organisations and numerous donors.
Source: Canadian Ismaili, July 1996
Research by Nimira Dewji
- This month in history: Fatimid Caliph Imam Al-Mustansir bi’llah I passed away
- Today in history: Imam Rukn al-Din Khurshah succeeded to the Imamat
- Countdown to Diamond Jubilee – Snapshots of Imamat – 1983 to 1987
- His Highness the Aga Khan: “…Central Asia, a thousand years ago, “led the world”…in cultural and intellectual development.”
- Legacy of Jubilees – Silver Jubilee of Mawlana Hazar Imam: “…the issue of improving the living conditions of the poor has long been of the deepest concern to me.”
- Pluralism facilitated the development of unique styles of arabesque art
- His Highness the Aga Khan: “Syria has been at the crossroads of civilisations for over 2500 years – an ancient witness to the fruitful interaction of different peoples and cultures.”
More on Volunteering at Ismailimail Archives:
- Danisha Bhaloo recognized as Outstanding Volunteer, receives Star of Alberta Volunteer Award
- Alina Ramji: West Vancouver teen sets sights on Third World eye care
- Hakim Khalifa, member UK Jamat, helps save countless lives by donating 100 pints of blood
- Faiz Jan: Nepean teen gets a taste of politics at Queen’s Park
- Video Recordings: Opening Ceremony & Live Performances – Dubai 2016 Jubilee Games – Project Organizing Volunteers who made it happen
- Every single day, over 200 volunteers make a difference, at the Aga Khan University
- 2016 Jubilee Games – Members of Ismaili Community from across the globe to converge in Dubai for July 22-29 event | Gulf News
- Attiya Hirji: How the World Partnership Walk lets Canadians bring hope to African communities
- Munira Nagji: She travels from Canada to a village in India to impart Montessori education to underprivileged kids
- Yasmine Chagla awarded Betty Bannerman & Moira Walker award
- Ismaili Council for Ontario Volunteers Honoured with Government’s Service Awards
- Pickering teen Arianna Dossa honoured at 2016 Ontario Volunteer Service Awards
- Salima Ladhani is back – this time in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan!
- Our Volunteers | Aga Khan Museum
More on Prince Amyn at Ismailimail Archives:
- Masterpieces from the Aga Khan Museum collection were exhibited in Europe and Southeast Asia
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan: “…art and culture can have a profound impact in healing misunderstanding and in fostering trust even across great divides.”
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan Speaks at the Scottish Parliament
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan to attend Edinburgh International Culture Summit
- Ismaili Imamat’s Diplomatic Corps: Senior Officials of the Seat of Ismaili Imamat, Personal Representatives of the Imam & AKDN Resident Representatives
- NTV Video Kenya: President Kenyatta meets Prince Amyn Aga Khan
- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta holds talks with Prince Amyn Aga Khan
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Subscribe and join 17,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!