“This far flung community is characterized despite geographical distances, by its coherence and organization, by its unwavering progressiveness, and by its universal commitment to the welfare of the less fortunate …
The Ismaili community is noteworthy also for its tradition, deeply embedded in its values and in its very ethos, of the individual voluntarily donating his or her time, effort, intellect, and material resources in the service of others.
A religious minority in virtually every country where it finds itself, the community has always been apolitical, with a history of loyalty to each country in which it resides and enviable reputation of active engagement – as good citizens – in constructively promoting the well-being of its neighbours, irrespective of their faith, race, or origin.”
– Prince Amyn Aga Khan
Lisbon, Portugal, February 1996
Prince Amyn visited Lisbon, Portugal, in connection with developments that will affect the future activities of the Aga Khan Development Net-work (AKDN) and of the Jamat in Portugal. In his capacity as a Director of the Aga Khan Foundation, Prince Amyn hosted a gala dinner organized by AKF (Portugal) to highlight the Foundation’s work in the country, at which then-President Mario Soares was the chief guest. Also attending the function, were President Jorge Sampaio, senior cabinet ministers, representatives of the diplomatic corps, as well as of various international and local non-governmental organisations and numerous donors.
Source: Canadian Ismaili, July 1996
Research by Nimira Dewji
- Mi’raj – A soul’s journey towards true spiritual knowledge
- Legacy of Jubilees – Legacy of Mawlana Hazar Imam’s Golden Jubilee
- Nizari Imams who have reigned for 60 years or more
- The origin of the art of Islamic calligraphy is attributed to Hazrat Ali ibn Abi Talib
- This month in history: Imam Aqa Ali Shah Aga Khan II succeeded to the Imamat
- Countdown to Diamond Jubilee – Snapshots of Imamat – 2003 to 2007
- The Bujh Niranjan, a mystical poem, reveals the close Satpanth – Sufi relationship
More on Volunteering at Ismailimail Archives:
- Sanya Pirani: 5th Grader Who Collected 13K Diapers For Families In Need Is Just Getting Started | CBS Minnesota
- Kabir Laiwalla receives Moses C. Davis Professional of the Year Award 2016 from Georgia Credit Union League
- Bismah Haq receives Community Builder Award for Volunteer Work in Ottawa
- Sarah Kamdar: Helping kids grow up great | United Way Vancouver
- Aly Rahmatullah: Wayzata High School student helps others, named “Volunteer of the Month”
- Community College Initiative Program Graduation Ceremony Speech by Sherzaman Gulzaman
- Join the Diaper Drive By Sanya Pirani, CAP Ambassador
- Student Sanya Pirani hand sews 100 school bags for homeless youth
- Alykhan Bhanji appointed to the Board of Astonished! Regina, Saskatchewan
- Midwest Girl Scouts: Restoration Workday!
- Danisha Bhaloo recognized as Outstanding Volunteer, receives Star of Alberta Volunteer Award
- Alina Ramji: West Vancouver teen sets sights on Third World eye care
- Hakim Khalifa, member UK Jamat, helps save countless lives by donating 100 pints of blood
- Faiz Jan: Nepean teen gets a taste of politics at Queen’s Park
More on Prince Amyn at Ismailimail Archives:
- Rare 1954 Historical Photograph of Prince Karim & Prince Amyn Aga Khan – Dodoma, Tanganyika
- Masterpieces from the Aga Khan Museum collection were exhibited in Europe and Southeast Asia
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan: “…art and culture can have a profound impact in healing misunderstanding and in fostering trust even across great divides.”
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan Speaks at the Scottish Parliament
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan to attend Edinburgh International Culture Summit
- Ismaili Imamat’s Diplomatic Corps: Senior Officials of the Seat of Ismaili Imamat, Personal Representatives of the Imam & AKDN Resident Representatives
- NTV Video Kenya: President Kenyatta meets Prince Amyn Aga Khan
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Subscribe and join 17,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!