“This far flung community is characterized despite geographical distances, by its coherence and organization, by its unwavering progressiveness, and by its universal commitment to the welfare of the less fortunate …
The Ismaili community is noteworthy also for its tradition, deeply embedded in its values and in its very ethos, of the individual voluntarily donating his or her time, effort, intellect, and material resources in the service of others.
A religious minority in virtually every country where it finds itself, the community has always been apolitical, with a history of loyalty to each country in which it resides and enviable reputation of active engagement – as good citizens – in constructively promoting the well-being of its neighbours, irrespective of their faith, race, or origin.”
– Prince Amyn Aga Khan
Lisbon, Portugal, February 1996
Prince Amyn visited Lisbon, Portugal, in connection with developments that will affect the future activities of the Aga Khan Development Net-work (AKDN) and of the Jamat in Portugal. In his capacity as a Director of the Aga Khan Foundation, Prince Amyn hosted a gala dinner organized by AKF (Portugal) to highlight the Foundation’s work in the country, at which then-President Mario Soares was the chief guest. Also attending the function, were President Jorge Sampaio, senior cabinet ministers, representatives of the diplomatic corps, as well as of various international and local non-governmental organisations and numerous donors.
Source: Canadian Ismaili, July 1996
Research by Nimira Dewji
- Rock crystal has been used to represent the visible and the invisible since ancient times
- Did you know that Aga Khan Development Network provides electricity to 10 million people in developing countries?
- Did you know that Aga Khan Foundation assists artisans in marginalised communities in Mozambique?
- Did you know that the Memons, the Chishti Sufis, and Bohras worship in jamatkhanas?
- The paisley motif, a Persian symbol of life and eternity
- Did you know that the Ismaili Centre, Burnaby was the first Silver Jubilee project?
- Did you know that the Blue Qur’an is considered a wonder of Islamic calligraphy?
More on Volunteering at Ismailimail Archives:
- Global News TV: Ismaili Muslims launch Civic 150 in celebration of Canada’s sesquicentennial
- CTV Calgary: Members of Calgary’s Ismaili Muslim community feed the hungry
- City News Edmonton: Ismailis Pledge One Million Volunteer Hours for Canada
- Canadian Ismaili National Council President’s Message on Ismaili Civic Day in Canada
- Canadian Ismaili Mayor, Naheed Nenshi congratulates the community for volunteering on Ismaili Civic 150 Day
- Ismaili CIVIC Day from Mississauga Valley Park, Toronto – Irfan Ali
- Ismaili CIVIC Day from Montreal – Muslim Harji
- Murad Kajani travels from Chicago to Texas, volunteering for Hurricane Harvey cleanup effort
- Armaan Somani becomes Vice Chair of the City of Edmonton Youth Council
- Ismaili Youth of i-Cerv with Houston Rockets, helping with Hurricane Harvey relief efforts
- Dallas-Fort Worth Ismaili Muslim community preps 100,000 meals for Harvey victims
- Aseem Ali: Ismaili Youth, i-Cerv, FOCUS Humanitarian, engaged in rescue missions in Houston
- Houston, USA: Ismaili Muslim Community Steps Up to Help
- Rai Maqbool Ahmed Khuwaja – Gems Of The Era by Ali Jan Damani
More on Prince Amyn at Ismailimail Archives:
- Boy Scouts Association of Gilgit Celebrates Prince Amyn Chief Scout Day
- Reflection: Honoring Prince Amyn on his 80th birthday
- Aga Khan III’s Rolls-Royce Phantom IV showcased at the Rolls-Royce London exhibition
- Historical Photograph: Begum Rana Liaquat Ali Khan & Prince Amyn Mohammed
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan: “This dialogue – silent, musical, literary – is what binds us all together in a common cultural heritage that we share.”
- Video: Opening of ‘Traces of Words: Art and Calligraphy from Asia’ exhibition at UBC Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver, Canada
- [Audio] Remarks by Prince Amyn Aga Khan, delivered at the Museum of Anthropology, University of British Columbia
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Subscribe and join 17,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!