“This far flung community is characterized despite geographical distances, by its coherence and organization, by its unwavering progressiveness, and by its universal commitment to the welfare of the less fortunate …
The Ismaili community is noteworthy also for its tradition, deeply embedded in its values and in its very ethos, of the individual voluntarily donating his or her time, effort, intellect, and material resources in the service of others.
A religious minority in virtually every country where it finds itself, the community has always been apolitical, with a history of loyalty to each country in which it resides and enviable reputation of active engagement – as good citizens – in constructively promoting the well-being of its neighbours, irrespective of their faith, race, or origin.”
– Prince Amyn Aga Khan
Lisbon, Portugal, February 1996
Prince Amyn visited Lisbon, Portugal, in connection with developments that will affect the future activities of the Aga Khan Development Net-work (AKDN) and of the Jamat in Portugal. In his capacity as a Director of the Aga Khan Foundation, Prince Amyn hosted a gala dinner organized by AKF (Portugal) to highlight the Foundation’s work in the country, at which then-President Mario Soares was the chief guest. Also attending the function, were President Jorge Sampaio, senior cabinet ministers, representatives of the diplomatic corps, as well as of various international and local non-governmental organisations and numerous donors.
Source: Canadian Ismaili, July 1996
Research by Nimira Dewji
- Countdown to Diamond Jubilee – Snapshots of Imamat – 1998 to 2002
- Today in history: Firdawsi’s epic poem, the Shahnama, was completed
- This month in history: The Syrian fortress of Masyaf was captured
- Carpets derived their names from artists in Europe in whose paintings they appeared
- Metalwares were often used to display wealth, power or scholarly life
- This month in history: Ivanow came into contact with Ismailis for the first time
- The style and quality of illumination added value to the book as a treasured object
More on Volunteering at Ismailimail Archives:
- Aly Rahmatullah: Wayzata High School student helps others, named “Volunteer of the Month”
- Community College Initiative Program Graduation Ceremony Speech by Sherzaman Gulzaman
- Join the Diaper Drive By Sanya Pirani, CAP Ambassador
- Student Sanya Pirani hand sews 100 school bags for homeless youth
- Alykhan Bhanji appointed to the Board of Astonished! Regina, Saskatchewan
- Midwest Girl Scouts: Restoration Workday!
- Danisha Bhaloo recognized as Outstanding Volunteer, receives Star of Alberta Volunteer Award
- Alina Ramji: West Vancouver teen sets sights on Third World eye care
- Hakim Khalifa, member UK Jamat, helps save countless lives by donating 100 pints of blood
- Faiz Jan: Nepean teen gets a taste of politics at Queen’s Park
- Video Recordings: Opening Ceremony & Live Performances – Dubai 2016 Jubilee Games – Project Organizing Volunteers who made it happen
- Every single day, over 200 volunteers make a difference, at the Aga Khan University
- 2016 Jubilee Games – Members of Ismaili Community from across the globe to converge in Dubai for July 22-29 event | Gulf News
- Attiya Hirji: How the World Partnership Walk lets Canadians bring hope to African communities
More on Prince Amyn at Ismailimail Archives:
- Rare 1954 Historical Photograph of Prince Karim & Prince Amyn Aga Khan – Dodoma, Tanganyika
- Masterpieces from the Aga Khan Museum collection were exhibited in Europe and Southeast Asia
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan: “…art and culture can have a profound impact in healing misunderstanding and in fostering trust even across great divides.”
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan Speaks at the Scottish Parliament
- Prince Amyn Aga Khan to attend Edinburgh International Culture Summit
- Ismaili Imamat’s Diplomatic Corps: Senior Officials of the Seat of Ismaili Imamat, Personal Representatives of the Imam & AKDN Resident Representatives
- NTV Video Kenya: President Kenyatta meets Prince Amyn Aga Khan
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Subscribe and join 17,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!