“This far flung community is characterized despite geographical distances, by its coherence and organization, by its unwavering progressiveness, and by its universal commitment to the welfare of the less fortunate …
The Ismaili community is noteworthy also for its tradition, deeply embedded in its values and in its very ethos, of the individual voluntarily donating his or her time, effort, intellect, and material resources in the service of others.
A religious minority in virtually every country where it finds itself, the community has always been apolitical, with a history of loyalty to each country in which it resides and enviable reputation of active engagement – as good citizens – in constructively promoting the well-being of its neighbours, irrespective of their faith, race, or origin.”
– Prince Amyn Aga Khan
Lisbon, Portugal, February 1996
Prince Amyn visited Lisbon, Portugal, in connection with developments that will affect the future activities of the Aga Khan Development Net-work (AKDN) and of the Jamat in Portugal. In his capacity as a Director of the Aga Khan Foundation, Prince Amyn hosted a gala dinner organized by AKF (Portugal) to highlight the Foundation’s work in the country, at which then-President Mario Soares was the chief guest. Also attending the function, were President Jorge Sampaio, senior cabinet ministers, representatives of the diplomatic corps, as well as of various international and local non-governmental organisations and numerous donors.
Source: Canadian Ismaili, July 1996
Research by Nimira Dewji
- Fatimid craftsmen were the earliest to make large-scale decorative lustreware items
- Did you know that Ibn Sina’s “Canon of Medicine” was used as a standard medical textbook in European universities for 700 years?
- Rock crystal has been used to represent the visible and the invisible since ancient times
- Did you know that Aga Khan Development Network provides electricity to 10 million people in developing countries?
- Did you know that Aga Khan Foundation assists artisans in marginalised communities in Mozambique?
- Did you know that the Memons, the Chishti Sufis, and Bohras worship in jamatkhanas?
- The paisley motif, a Persian symbol of life and eternity
More on Volunteering at Ismailimail Archives:
- Local girl, volunteers pack bags for homeless children
- Alykhan Suleman: New Circle lets low-income Torontonians get warm winter clothing | Globalnews.ca
- More than 500 Ismaili Muslims donate 80,000 Thanksgiving meals to Atlantans in need | Atlanta Journal Constitution
- Prior Lake student Sanya Pirani receives presidential award
- Over 500 Ismaili volunteers of all ages, assembled 80,000 meals for Atlanta’s children and seniors in need
- Alia Sunderji: Luv the Grub cooks up great things – United Way of the Lower Mainland
- Local sixth grader collects items ahead of the holidays
- Murad Ajani, President Southwest Ismaili Council of the United States of America, represents Ismaili Volunteers in receiving Points of Light Award from Five Former US Presidents
- Murad Ajani: Ismaili Muslim Leader Gathers 2,500 Volunteers for Hurricane Harvey Response | Points of Light
- Adoption of Brampton Northampton Park by Canadian Ismaili Muslim Community – By Alauddin Hemraj
- Global News TV: Ismaili Muslims launch Civic 150 in celebration of Canada’s sesquicentennial
- CTV Calgary: Members of Calgary’s Ismaili Muslim community feed the hungry
- City News Edmonton: Ismailis Pledge One Million Volunteer Hours for Canada
- Canadian Ismaili National Council President’s Message on Ismaili Civic Day in Canada
More on Prince Amyn at Ismailimail Archives:
- Ismaili Imamat reception in Portugal honouring Diamond Jubilee with Prince Amyn Aga Khan
- President Kenyatta swearing-in to start at 10am
- Mosques: Splendors of Islam – foreword by Prince Amyn Aga Khan; preface by Leyla Uluhanli; general editor, Jai Imbrey – Princeton University Library Catalog
- His Highness the Aga Khan donates 100 thousand euros for the recovery of Pinhal de Leiria – Portuguese forest destroyed by the major fires
- Dreamy Art of the Islamic Worlds Gala gets a boost with $1 million gift
- Prince Amyn headlines the Aga Khan Foundation Gala in New York
- Prince Amyn attends Aga Khan Foundation’s Fundraising Gala
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Subscribe and join 17,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!