Jamal J. Elias, Annenberg Professor in the Humanities and Professor of Religious Studies and South Asia Studies at the University of Pennsylvania, discusses popular culture in contemporary Pakistan.
EVENT: Saints and Superheroes: The Visual Culture of Pakistan with Dr. Jamal J. Elias
DATE: Wednesday, December 10, 2014
TIME: 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. EST
VENUE: Aga Khan Museum Auditorium, 77 Wynford Drive, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
About Jamal J. Elias
Dr. Jamal J. Elias is a Walter H. Annenberg Professor of Religious Studies and South Asia Studies in the Humanities at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Elias teaches courses on Islamic thought, culture and history, with a focus on Sufism, Islamic and modernity, as well as visual and material culture in the Middle East and South Asia. A recipient of many grants and awards from the Guggenheim Foundation, the American Council of Learned Societies, and the Social Science Research Council (among others), he has lectured and published broadly on history, religion, literature and material and visual culture in the medieval and modern Islamic world. His two most recent books are On Wings of Diesel: Trucks, Identity and Culture in Pakistan (Oxford 2011) and Aisha’s Cushion: Religious Art, Perception and Practice in Islam (Cambridge, MA, 2012).
B.A., Stanford University (1983)
M.A., University of Pennsylvania (1985)
M.A., Yale University (1987)
Ph.D., Yale University (1991)
Related Ismailimail, Aga Khan Museum:
- Inspired by the Fibonacci staircase at the Aga Khan Museum, YuMee Chung demonstrates the ‘Upward Spiral’ yoga pose
- Deadly Struggle & Peace, New York Times on Aga Khan Museum’s acclaimed exhibition Syria: A Living History
- Visit Aga Khan Museum – Toronto’s 101 city insiders reveal their favorite things to do in the city | Air Canada enRoute
- Canada is using art to build bridges with Syrian refugees, while the rest of the world builds walls to keep them out – Aga Khan Museum & Institute for Canadian Citizenship serve as models
- YuMee Chung demonstrates the ‘Elbow Room’ yoga stretch at Aga Khan Museum’s Diwan Restaurant
- Aga Khan Museum wins Urban Vitality Award in recognition of its architectural contribution to GTA and its outstanding relationship to Toronto’s multicultural identity
- On Arts Toronto, host Mark Wigmore of JAZZ.FM 91 interviews Henry Kim on Aga Khan Museum’s exhibition, Syria: A Living History
- Ismaili Centre, Toronto inspires YuMee Chung to demonstrate a dramatic version of the classic yoga ‘Pyramid Pose’
- Aga Khan Museum wins 2016 Urban Vitality Award from the Canadian Urban Institute
- Free admission for Syrian refugees to Aga Khan Museum exhibit | Inside Toronto
All Related to Upcoming Events
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Subscribe and join 18,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!