Jamal J. Elias, Annenberg Professor in the Humanities and Professor of Religious Studies and South Asia Studies at the University of Pennsylvania, discusses popular culture in contemporary Pakistan.
EVENT: Saints and Superheroes: The Visual Culture of Pakistan with Dr. Jamal J. Elias
DATE: Wednesday, December 10, 2014
TIME: 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. EST
VENUE: Aga Khan Museum Auditorium, 77 Wynford Drive, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
About Jamal J. Elias
Dr. Jamal J. Elias is a Walter H. Annenberg Professor of Religious Studies and South Asia Studies in the Humanities at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Elias teaches courses on Islamic thought, culture and history, with a focus on Sufism, Islamic and modernity, as well as visual and material culture in the Middle East and South Asia. A recipient of many grants and awards from the Guggenheim Foundation, the American Council of Learned Societies, and the Social Science Research Council (among others), he has lectured and published broadly on history, religion, literature and material and visual culture in the medieval and modern Islamic world. His two most recent books are On Wings of Diesel: Trucks, Identity and Culture in Pakistan (Oxford 2011) and Aisha’s Cushion: Religious Art, Perception and Practice in Islam (Cambridge, MA, 2012).
B.A., Stanford University (1983)
M.A., University of Pennsylvania (1985)
M.A., Yale University (1987)
Ph.D., Yale University (1991)
Related Ismailimail, Aga Khan Museum:
- The zenith of the art of Iranian painting: Court of Kayumars
- Director Deepa Mehta’s Midnight’s Children to be screened at the Aga Khan Museum
- Contemporary Art of Pakistan: In Conversation with Dr. Henry Kim of Aga Khan Museum, Toronto
- Premier of Alberta, Canada, Rachel Notley express deep gratitude for the generous gift of the Garden
- An evening of Turkish music and dance at the Aga Khan Museum
- Artworks on Syria’s history and diversity on show at the Ismaili Centre Dubai
- Museum of Anthropology Announces ‘Traces of Words: Art and Calligraphy from Asia
- Aga Khan Museum With Kids
- Aga Khan Museum to showcase Canadian identity
- Florida State University Department of Art History – April 18: Public Lecture and Collaboration with Curator of Aga Khan Museum, Toronto
All Related to Upcoming Events
- What people are saying about the Prince Sadruddin biography by Diana Miserez
- Talking to Diana Miserez, author of Prince Sadruddin’s biography and Nicola Spafford Furey, VP of Earth Focus Foundation one day before the book launch event at the UN
- Prince Sadruddin’s Constellation of Honors
- Contemplate: Prince Sadruddin’s inspiring 1975 address to the newly settled Ismaili community in Canada
- Reflection: French Minister of Culture pays tribute to Prince Sadruddin as he decorates His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan and Prince Amyn with honours
- Retrospective: 1988 Interview with Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan Co-ordinator for United Nations Humanitarian and Economic Assistance Programmes relating to Afghanistan
- eBook of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s biography now available worldwide
- UN Library hosts book launch of Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan at the Palais des Nations, Geneva on April 20
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, a Legacy of Great Healthcare & Design to be presented by architects from Payette and AKU at the 29th Annual Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
- Marvelous Creatures: Animals in Islamic Art, at the Aga Khan Museum Toronto
- 5th Alliance Conference Canada – Annual event for Ismaili business owners, professionals and entrepreneurs
- Legendary Sufi Singer Abida Parveen Makes Rare Appearance in Toronto
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Subscribe and join 18,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!