“Launch events serve as vital bridges between pages and minds. ‘Academic’ words come alive; ideas take shape.”
– Dr Amyn Sajoo, Author of the Companion Series
“Participating in the IIS book launches … has been a wonderfully enriching experience, in spiritual terms; and an unexpectedly rewarding one, in intellectual terms. … The very process of sharing with others the fruits of our research and reflections results in a deepening, for ourselves, of the knowledge being imparted.”
– Dr Reza Shah-Kazemi, Author of Spirituality and Universality in Islam
In 2014, IIS scholars and publication authors participated in an array of book launch events and scholar visits.
The IIS’ Department of Communications & Development facilitated thirty-four events in Canada, India, Portugal, Tajikistan, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the USA.
Over 3,000 individuals attended these events, including leading figures in academia, university students, dignitaries and members of the Ismaili community.
Lisbon, Portugal, was the setting for several other book launch events this year, including an event to commemorate the publication of A Modern History of the Ismailis, Fortresses of the Intellect: Essays in Honour of Dr Farhad Daftary and the Historical Dictionary of the Ismailis (by Dr Farhad Daftary) in Portuguese. The Institute currently has a roster of over 90 translated volumes published in French, Arabic, Persian, Urdu and Tajik.
A much-anticipated highlight of the season was the launch in May 2014 of the premier publications in the new Shi‘i Heritage series; A History of Shi‘i Islam and The Study of Shi‘i Islam, in London. The event, which was also replicated in Lisbon, featured the Managing Editors Dr Farhad Daftary and Dr Gurdofarid Miskinzoda speaking about the objectives and scope of this latest IIS offering.
In August 2014, events took place in Dushanbe, Khorog and the Rushan District, in Tajikistan. These book launches were held to commemorate a new publication entitled Russian Scholars on Ismailism, produced by the Central Asian Studies Unit (CASU), at the IIS.
In 2014, 17 book launch events were organised in the USA, with two IIS scholars, Dr Reza Shah-Kazemi and Dr Shainool Jiwa. The tours included outreach lectures and sessions with university students in Boston and Seattle.
“The book launch sessions have been very fulfilling for me as they have provided me an opportunity to interact with both academic audiences and non-academics of all persuasions, including Ismailis.
Sharing my research interests and findings with such a diverse range of people has enabled me to get a first-hand understanding of their viewpoints and concerns.
I have been reminded, in this way, of the importance of ensuring that our work at the IIS remains responsive to our key constituencies which includes non-academics within the Ismaili community.”
– Dr Shainool Jiwa, Author of Towards a Shi‘i Mediterranean Empire and The Founder of Cairo
Discover, Explore and Learn more by reading the complete story at The Institute Hosts Book Launch Events in Seven Countries
Authour – Publication – Venue
- Dr Amyn Sajoo – A Companion to Muslim Cultures – Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), USA.
- Dr Farhad Daftary – A Modern History of the Ismailis, Fortresses of the Intellect: Essays in Honour of Dr Farhad Daftary, Historical Dictionary of the Ismailis – Lisbon Portugal; London, UK.
- Dr Mohamed Keshavjee – Islam, Sharia and Alternative Dispute Resolution – Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Mumbai, India; Lisbon Portugal.
- Dr Reza Shah-Kazemi – Spirituality and Universality in Islam – Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Boston and Seattle, USA.
- Dr Shainool Jiwa – Towards a Shi‘i Mediterranean Empire and The Founder of Cairo – Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Mumbai, India; Vancouver, Calgary and Toronto, Canada; Boston and Seattle, USA.
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Want to inspire? Send your stories to us at Ismailimail@gmail.com
Subscribe and join 19,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!
Earlier & Related – Institute of Ismaili Studies at Ismailimail Archives:
- 40th anniversary of the Institute of Ismaili Studies: With guest of honour Prince Rahim Aga Khan
- 40th anniversary of the Institute of Ismaili Studies: Commemorative Lecture Connects the Past, Present and the Future
- Fifteenth-Century Central Asian Text: Reflections on Authorship and Confessional Identity – Presentation by Daniel Beben
- Top Award for Two Editors from the Institute of Ismaili Studies at Frankfurt Book Fair
- A Symposium on Manuscript Collections Housed at the Institute of Ismaili Studies
- Did you know that the Memons, the Chishti Sufis, and Bohras worship in jamatkhanas?
- Sharmina Mawani & Anjoom A. Mukadam – Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Study of Gujarati Identities: Perspectives of Female Researchers
- Dr Shenila Khoja-Moolji to deliver Kazim Bacchus Research Seminar: Decolonizing Teacher Education in Pakistan
- ‘Topping Out’ Ceremony Performed for AKDN’s Academic Building in London, King’s Cross
- Persian Qasida: Let go of this entire ruse, O lover! Go mad, go mad!