Each year the program sends young Canadians to spend 8 months in either Africa or Asia to work with agencies and partners of the Aga Khan Development Network.
I will be spending eight months in Cairo, Egypt working with the Aga Khan Foundation on various projects.
I completed a month-long international development seminar with the Aga Khan International Fellowship Program.
I’d like to thank the Aga Khan Foundation Canada for the incredible experience so far. Come August, I hope to expand my horizons in Egypt!
– Hoda Mroue
Aga Khan International Fellowship Seminar Opens Hearts and Minds
by Hoda Mroue Published in Our Challenges – Muslim Link. Published July 26, 2014
We had several facilitators with exceptional backgrounds prepare us for our overseas placement. Some of the most memorable sessions were on intercultural effectiveness, results-based management, incorporating gender, rural development, micro enterprise and personal well-being and resilience. The sessions were also very practical, involving lots of real-world activities and collaborative group work.
During that month, I lived in residence at Carleton University with 22 admirable fellows from across Canada. Everyone brought unique experiences and perspectives to our discussions. We participated in a very open-minded space, and as a Muslim woman this empowered me to contribute my perspective on subjects such as female genital mutilation, child marriage, and other issues often associated with Islamic culture that I stand firmly against.
As the only hijab-wearing Muslim woman in the room, I also attracted all sorts of curious questions from a group of 19 women and three men:
Discover, explore and Leran more Via Muslim Link | In Focus | Our Challenges | Aga Khan International Fellowship Seminar Opens Hearts and Minds
About Hoda Mroue
Hoda Mroue is a project support fellow based in Cairo, Egypt with the Aga Khan Foundation.
Hoda obtained a Master’s degree in Political Science and International Development Studies from the University of Guelph in 2013.
She has interned and worked for various non-profit organizations in the US and Canada such as Nike Foundation, World Pulse, and the National Council on Canada-Arab Relations.
She has also interned on Parliament Hill in the office of former NDP leader Alexa McDonough.
Follow her on twitter @hodamroue
Other Interesting Reads by Hoda Mroue
- Dispatches from the Sunni-Shia Divide
- Unmosqued Voices: Hoda Mroue
- Embracing Identities: Working with the National Council on Canada-Arab Relations
Earlier & Related on Women & Leadership at Ismailimail
- Speech by Almas Jiwani on ‘The Power of One’ at Africa 4 Africa Women’s Conference in South Africa
- The story of Sabiha R. Hirani and her printing house
- Anar Simpson receives GSMA Women4Tech – Glomo Awards
- Aliya Dossa: 101 Days, 101 Strangers, 101 Stories
- Salimah Walji-Shivji appointed to the Board of United Way Calgary
- A chat with Anar Simpson on Women & Tech – Winner of SDG5 Award at the World Government Summit Conference
- Danisha Bhaloo recognized as Outstanding Volunteer, receives Star of Alberta Volunteer Award
- Girls’ Education as a Pathway to Global Women’s Empowerment: Sajida H. Shroff Speaks at the Harvard University
- Dr. Farida Virani speaks at Indian Merchants Chamber’s Seminar: Skilling for Rural Development and Creating Livelihood
- Almas Jiwani honored by Illuminessence magazine as an inspirational leader illuminating a brighter path for women and girls
- Thomson Reuters Sustainability interviews Almas Jiwani: Champion of Gender Equality
- Natasha Walji recognized as one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women in WXN’s Top 100 to Celebrate and Inspire Female Leaders
- Zainub Verjee leads Visual Arts as a partner in the $2.5 million Partnership Grant Awarded to McGill University
- Zainub Verjee’s essay on Home Ground exhibition at Aga Khan Museum published in the Journal of Asian Diasporic Visual Cultures and the Americas
- Anar Simpson appointed Member UN Secretary-General’s High-Level Panel on Women’s Economic Empowerment
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Want to inspire? Send your stories to us at Ismailimail@gmail.com
Subscribe and join 19,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!