Washington Governor Jay Inslee has named Shelmina Babai Abji, of Bellevue, to the Board of Trustees of Bellevue College. In this role, Abji will participate in the six-member board, whose duties include setting the college’s strategic direction, establishing policy for the college, and approving budgets.
“Bellevue College is very fortunate to have community leaders like Shelmina who are ready and willing to step into governance roles on our campus and bring fresh, new, exciting ideas,” Bellevue College President Dr. David Rule said. “This is an exhilarating time on our campus as we head into our 50th anniversary year; exciting ideas and opportunities are on the horizon.”
Abji, an accomplished senior executive in the information technology sector, excels at building trust and confidence with stakeholders to create win-win scenarios. Prior to her recent tenure as Vice President at IBM Corporation, she ran Mina Technologies, an IBM business partner that enables clients to gain visibility, control and automation of their IT infrastructure. Before starting her own business, she spent 19 years with IBM in technical and sales positions.
“I am passionate about creating an enabling environment to empower students from all walks of life to realize their maximum potential,” said Abji. “I am the first person in my family to obtain a college degree and have experienced firsthand how access to good education can help not just the individual but also their families, their extended families and indeed the community at large!”
As an active member of the mentoring community, Abji keenly works to support and empower new generations of community leaders and has led numerous mentoring programs both in the workplace and in the community. She is on the board of Young Women Empowered, a non-profit that focuses on empowering young women from diverse backgrounds to step into leadership roles in their places of work and in the community at large.
Be the First to Know – Join Ismailimail
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Want to inspire? Send your stories to us at Ismailimail@gmail.com
Subscribe and join 20,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!
Earlier & Related on Women & Leadership at Ismailimail
- Anar Simpson receives GSMA Women4Tech – Glomo Awards
- Aliya Dossa: 101 Days, 101 Strangers, 101 Stories
- Salimah Walji-Shivji appointed to the Board of United Way Calgary
- A chat with Anar Simpson on Women & Tech – Winner of SDG5 Award at the World Government Summit Conference
- Danisha Bhaloo recognized as Outstanding Volunteer, receives Star of Alberta Volunteer Award
- Girls’ Education as a Pathway to Global Women’s Empowerment: Sajida H. Shroff Speaks at the Harvard University
- Dr. Farida Virani speaks at Indian Merchants Chamber’s Seminar: Skilling for Rural Development and Creating Livelihood
- Almas Jiwani honored by Illuminessence magazine as an inspirational leader illuminating a brighter path for women and girls
- Thomson Reuters Sustainability interviews Almas Jiwani: Champion of Gender Equality
- Natasha Walji recognized as one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women in WXN’s Top 100 to Celebrate and Inspire Female Leaders
- Zainub Verjee leads Visual Arts as a partner in the $2.5 million Partnership Grant Awarded to McGill University
- Zainub Verjee’s essay on Home Ground exhibition at Aga Khan Museum published in the Journal of Asian Diasporic Visual Cultures and the Americas
- Anar Simpson appointed Member UN Secretary-General’s High-Level Panel on Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Women and Leadership: Zainub Verjee reflects on state of the culture sector and offers inspirational insights
- Jenny Gulamani-Abdulla Elected as President of BPW Canada