Washington Governor Jay Inslee has named Shelmina Babai Abji, of Bellevue, to the Board of Trustees of Bellevue College. In this role, Abji will participate in the six-member board, whose duties include setting the college’s strategic direction, establishing policy for the college, and approving budgets.
“Bellevue College is very fortunate to have community leaders like Shelmina who are ready and willing to step into governance roles on our campus and bring fresh, new, exciting ideas,” Bellevue College President Dr. David Rule said. “This is an exhilarating time on our campus as we head into our 50th anniversary year; exciting ideas and opportunities are on the horizon.”
Abji, an accomplished senior executive in the information technology sector, excels at building trust and confidence with stakeholders to create win-win scenarios. Prior to her recent tenure as Vice President at IBM Corporation, she ran Mina Technologies, an IBM business partner that enables clients to gain visibility, control and automation of their IT infrastructure. Before starting her own business, she spent 19 years with IBM in technical and sales positions.
“I am passionate about creating an enabling environment to empower students from all walks of life to realize their maximum potential,” said Abji. “I am the first person in my family to obtain a college degree and have experienced firsthand how access to good education can help not just the individual but also their families, their extended families and indeed the community at large!”
As an active member of the mentoring community, Abji keenly works to support and empower new generations of community leaders and has led numerous mentoring programs both in the workplace and in the community. She is on the board of Young Women Empowered, a non-profit that focuses on empowering young women from diverse backgrounds to step into leadership roles in their places of work and in the community at large.
Be the First to Know – Join Ismailimail
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Want to inspire? Send your stories to us at Ismailimail@gmail.com
Subscribe and join 20,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!
Earlier & Related on Women & Leadership at Ismailimail
- The Women in Public Service Project Welcomes Anar Simpson to its Advisory Council
- Roxana Jaffer recognized for her work in U.N’s Sustainability Development Goals | Global Compact Network UAE
- Aroosa and Farhad Hakim Ally: Photographers seeks to change Pakistan’s image
- Nahla Valji honoured for Significant Contributions to the field of International Gender Justice
- Sofia Sayani in the running for ‘Mompreneur 2018 Awards’
- Rabiah Damji: From University to Corporate | Women in Tech
- Shelmina Abji is an Empowerment Speaker at Women to Watch
- Future of Art Galleries – keynote by Zainub Verjee
- Nomadic Architecture showcased two decades ago at Burnaby Jamatkhana
- Feature interview of Zainub Verjee in Canadian Art Fall Issue 2017
- Shemin Nurmohamed: Don’t miss your amazon moment! | TEDxAix
- Anar Simpson: Breaking Barriers with Technovation
- Read How Sharmin Malik Turned Her Post-Pregnancy Depression Into An Inspiration To Become An Entrepreneur
- Speech by Almas Jiwani on ‘The Power of One’ at Africa 4 Africa Women’s Conference in South Africa
- The story of Sabiha R. Hirani and her printing house