Here is a glimpse of a man who has exemplified a stellar service, all for the love of his country.
POST [Style. Diplomacy] 15 June-15 August 2015 Issue
The proud Muslim diplomat gladly shared with us his experiences working his way up the career path, being stationed at what many would consider as “hard posts”, and receiving awards from a Queen and from a President. The ambassador also spoke of the real status between his country and the UAE, especially after entering the re-energized relationship.
“The Canada-UAE relationship is based on what we could call as one strategic assessment and what we mean by that is that Canada and UAE have the same outlook on regional security situation, on trying to assist 3rd countries on development, and most importantly on mutual benefit of the commercial relationship, so our main interest here is investing in each other’s futures.”
Discover, Explore and Learn even more by reading the complete story at
- POST | In the Service of Canada
- ISSUU – POST | His Excellency Ambassador Arif Lalani: Canada-UAE Re-energize Relations (pages 1 (Front Cover page) 4, and 30-39)
POST is committed to delivering relevant, timely, universal, local, up close and even personal information about the the members of the diplomatic corps, the business community, the newsmakers, the cultural trends, developments here and abroad, the politics and its key players, the entertainment and more.
About Arif Lalani, Canadian Ambassador to the UAE
Arif Lalani (BA [International Relations], University of British Columbia, 1989; MSc [Management, Organizations and Governance], London School of Economics, 2009) has undertaken various assignments at Headquarters and abroad.
In 1994, he was assigned to the Embassy of Canada to Turkey. Mr. Lalani also served abroad at the Permanent Mission of Canada to the United Nations in New York during Canada’s term on the Security Council and as counsellor in Washington, D.C.
In 2006, he was appointed ambassador to Jordan, with accreditation to the Republic of Iraq and in 2007 he was appointed ambassador to Afghanistan. He was presented with the Alam Sayad Jamal-u-Din al Afghani medal in 2008 for his contribution to building peace and stability in Afghanistan.
At Headquarters, Mr. Lalani has worked in the Office of the Senior Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process as coordinator for the Balkans, was director of the South Asia Division and director general of both the South and Southeast Asia Bureau and the Strategic Policy Bureau.
He was founder and chair of the Working Group on Relations with Muslim Communities from 2005 to 2006. Mr. Lalani is a member of the Operating Board of Directors of the Centre for International Governance Innovation. He also serves as a senior fellow and member of the Advisory Board for the Munk School of Global Affairs at the University of Toronto.
In August 2012, Mr. Lalani was appointed ambassador to the United Arab Emirates with concurrent appointment as Canada’s first-ever special envoy to the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation in April 2013.
He is a recipient of the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal for service to Canada and Canadians.
Get breaking news related to the Ismaili Imamat, the world wide Ismaili Muslim community and all their creativity, endeavors and successes.
Inspired? Share the story
Want to inspire? Send your stories to us at Ismailimail@gmail.com
Subscribe and join 26,000 + other individuals – Subscribe now!
Earlier & Related – Arif Lalani at Ismailimail Archives:
- Statement by His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Bilateral meeting: Afghan President and His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Photos/Video)
- Afghan President meets His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Bilateral meeting: Swedish Deputy Prime Minister and His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Bilateral meeting: French Minister of State and His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Speech delivered by His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan at Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Speech delivered by His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan at Brussels Conference on Afghanistan
- His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan at the Brussels Conference on Afghanistan
- His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan joins World Leaders to attend the Conference on Afghanistan at the European Council in Brussels
- Government of Uganda commemorate 59th Anniversary of His Highness the Aga Khan’s ascension to the Office of the Imamat
- Ismaili Imamat’s Diplomatic Corps: Senior Officials of the Seat of Ismaili Imamat, Personal Representatives of the Imam & AKDN Resident Representatives
- POST | His Excellency Ambassador Arif Lalani: Canada-UAE Re-energize Relations
- Aga Khan Museum Toronto: Bridging the Middle East and North America through art | GulfNews.com
- The Hill Times: Power & Influence: Big City Mayors with Big Challenges – Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi
- Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Nicholson visits Ismaili Centre in Dubai, with Arif Lalani, Canadian Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates
- The Hill Times: Power & Influence: Canada’s Prime Minister Stephen Harper & His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan
- The Hill Times: Power & Influence: AKF CEO Khalil Shariff & Canadian Ambassador Arif Lalani
- Ambassador Arif Lalani: Canada will support Dubai’s bid for World Expo2020
- Ambassador Arif Lalani: Building for the future – Khaleej Times
- Khaleej Times Interview with Canadian Ambassador Arif Lalani: UAE-Canada relationship is stronger than ever
- Statement by John Baird on Ramadan – mentions Canadian Special Envoy to UAE Arif Lalani
- Arif Lalani: A key player in Canada’s Middle East policy
- Arif Lalani, Canada’s first-ever Special Envoy to the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
- Arif Lalani becomes Canada’s Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates
- Arif Z. Lalani Appointed to The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) Board of Directors
- Arif Lalani appointed as Director General for Policy Planning at Fort Pearson
- Young Canadian diplomats fight to defend Afghan mission
- Senior Canadian Diplomat – Arif Lalani – joins Munk Centre as Visiting Fellow
- Arif Lalani interview – receives medal from Hamid Karzai at Palace ceremony
- Canada looks to improve Afghan trade – Ambassador Lalani
- Canada’s Mission in Afghanistan
- Seeing eye to eye with Afghanistan
- Arif Lalani – Appointed as New Canadian Ambassador to Afghanistan
- Arif Lalani becomes Ambassador to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan