Aga Khan’s forward looking policies receive praise from Canadian leaders
By Sultan Jessa
Canada’s greatest strength is its rich diversity, says Governor General David Johnston.
The country, he said, is known throughout the world as a shining example of a multicultural society where respect for others is paramount.
“As His Highness the Aga Khan has stated, we have achieved this diversity through tolerance, openness and understanding.”
In a special message to the second, three-day Arusha Ismaili Reunion to be held in Calgary, Alberta, later this month, Johnston said the special occasion is to re-connect and celebrate a long-standing heritage that is intricately woven into the fabric of Canada.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Ismailis have added to the multicultural fabric since immigrated to Canada in the 1970s.
“Under the leadership of the Imam, His Highness the Aga Khan, Ismailis have prospered wherever they have settled, contributing to society with an ethos of self-reliance, education and philanthropy.”
Canada, Trudeau added, is defined and celebrated for its pluralism.
“Our ethnic, religious, and racial diversity is what makes us uniquely Canadian and allows all members of society to live work and thrive together in harmony. Ismaili Muslims have enriched this proud legacy.”
Trudeau offered his best wishes for a memorable reunion and happiness in the years to come.
Congratulatory messages have also been received from other leaders.
Celebrations start July 29 with a meet-and-greet reception.
A picnic has been scheduled for the next day.
There will be a brunch on Sunday at the Holiday Inn in Red Deer sponsored by Gulzar and Afzal Rajan.
The main event is the gala banquet in the evening.
Event chair Sadru Pyarali Nanji said more and more former Arusha residents from around the globe are registering for what is going to be another memorable reunion.
“There is a lot of interest in this reunion,” added Mithu Gillani, treasurer. “Our committee has worked extremely hard to make sure everyone has a wonderful time.”
The first, such full scale event, was held in the Greater Toronto area in 2010.
Nanji said the reunion Web Site is registering a lot of hits.
- Organizers of Arusha Ismaili Reunion in Calgary lauded for a most memorable event!
- Ismailis receive praise from Canadian leaders
- Ismailis urged to think of investing and doing business in Tanzania
- Canadian leaders praise Aga Khan’s initiatives
- Sultan Jessa: Canada’s Official Opposition leader wishes Arusha Ismaili Reunion great success
- Arusha Reunion 2016 Calgary
- Former Arusha residents attend 50th birthday party bash!
- Former Arusha residents stage reunion in Canada | Arusha Times
- Nakupenda Arusha song a big hit!
- Arusha Ismaili reunion a phenomenal success!
- South Asian Focus – Reunion for Arusha Ismailis
- Former Arusha residents meet in Canada
- Arusha Ismaili Reunion: Prime Minister Harper says Canada is a perfect choice for Ismaili Imamat
- Arusha Ismaili Reunion