The doctrine of Imamat has been central in Shia Islam since the designation by the Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s.) of Hazrat Ali (a.s.) as his successor at Ghadir-Khumm. Among the various interpretations in Shia Islam, the Ismaili Muslims believe in the continuity of the Imamat through a living hereditary Imam descended from Hazrat Ali, through the prophet’s daughter Bibi Fatima (a.s).
The current Imam of the Ismailis is His Highness the Aga Khan, who completes his 59th Imamat anniversary as the Ismaili community’s 49th Imam on July 11, 2016.
To mark this occasion, Simerg provides short selections on the Imamat drawn from numerous writings of historians, theologians, philosophers and poets, Ismailis and non-Ismailis alike.
Read full article at Simerg
- Conversation with Mawlana Hazar Imam – Adrienne Clarkson Prize for Global Citizenship | Simerg
- The Nur (Light) of Imamat
- Night of Power, Laylat al-Qadr: Supplications of Imam Zayn al-Abidin
- The Month of Ramadhan: A New Leaf Everyday for a Better World
- A Reflection on the New World Class Aga Khan University Hospital to be Built in Uganda | Simerg
- A Spiritual Father’s Love for His Community: The 79th Salgirah (Birthday) of Mawlana Hazar Imam, His Highness the Aga Khan | Simerg
- Ginan Naklanki Geeta, the Hadron Collider & Modern Scientific Knowledge | Simerg
- Two Essential Messages in His Highness the Aga Khan’s Harvard Lecture | Simerg
- Glimpses of His Highness the Aga Khan from Harvard, as he prepares to speak at the University today on November 12th, 2015 | Simerg
- Reflection: Prince Sadruddin Aga Khan’s plight for the refugees resonates on Huxley’s expression “Man’s Inhumanity to Man”
- For Ugandan Ismaili refugees, Justin Trudeau, the new PM of Canada reminds them of the glory days when his father and the Aga Khan facilitated their settlement in Canada
- Building on the Legacy of Prince Sadruddin
- Reflection: 138th Birth Anniversary of the 48th Ismaili Imam – His Highness Aga Sir Sultan Muhammad Shah, Aga Khan III
- Simerg | Images of autumn in Canada’s Capital Region invokes memories of profound reflections on nature by His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan during his first visit to the Central Asian Jamat in 1995
- Exclusive Photos by Jean-Marc Carisse: “Victorious Trudeau”, His Highness the Aga Khan and Liberal MP Yasmin Ratansi | Simerg
- His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan’s visit to Los Alamos National Laboratory 56 Years Ago | Simerg
- Ginan Central: A Portal to the Ismaili Community’s Ginanic Literature | Simerg
- In Memoriam: Alijah Zulfikarali Khoja | Simerg
- A UCSF Video Introduction to His Highness the Aga Khan: “He Does Good Work and Moves Quickly” | Simerg
- His Highness the Aga Khan: Democracy To Survive Across Planet Must Lead to Improvement in the Quality of Human Life and Give Genuine Hope for Future | Simerg