God is Beautiful, and He loves Beauty.
(Saying of Prophet Muhammad)
…the earth is beautiful only through its link with Heaven.
It will seem obvious to anyone considering the issue of ecological responsibility that the subject involves a moral dimension, but it may be less apparent why at its root it engages an aesthetic sensibility, one that requires us to enquire into the nature of ‘beauty’ itself. The apparently tenuous connection between our moral responsibility and our aesthetic sensibility may appear less remote when we consider a statement made by Henry David Thoreau (d. 1862) in his Journal (June 21, 1852): “The perception of beauty is a moral test.” The basis for this statement is, as traditional philosophers have always known, that our discernment of reality (Truth), our moral core (Goodness), and our aesthetic sensibility (Beauty) are all inter-connected. To enquire into the nature of the world around us therefore requires us to delve into our own inner nature – in fact, to understand the very nature of Nature itself.
Medieval philosophers distinguished between ‘natura naturans’ or the divine Nature in its creative essence, and ‘natura naturata’ or the divine Nature
in its effects.
Click here to read more at the source: http://www.qscience.com
- New Article by M. Ali Lakhani: Integral Pluralism as the Basis for Harmony – The Approach of His Highness the Aga Khan
- M. Ali Lakhani: Aesthetic Foundations of Ecological Responsibility | QScience
- Lawyers Jalal Jaffer and M. Ali Lakhani recognized with Queen’s Counsel designation
- Looking Beyond Islamophobia: Three Case Studies | Sacred Web Editorial
- M. Ali Lakhani: Rediscovering Virtue
- Living the Ethics of One’s Faith: The Aga Khan’s Integral Vision, By M. Ali Lakhani
- Inaugural Ismaili Centre International Lecture with Seyyed Hossein Nasr
- Photographs: Sacred Web Conference 2014
- Sacred Web Conference contemplates the role of religion in a secular age | Vancouver Observer
- Event: Islamic Philosophy Conference – April 26-27, 2014
- Acclaimed Muslim scholar leads Vancouver event | Vancouver Sun
- Sacred Web Conference 2014: With Prince Charles, Hossein Nasr, Reza Shah-Kazemi and others
- The Breath of the All-Merciful: The Timeless Relevance of Traditional Wisdom
- Eclectic ethnic mix among Muslims in Metro Vancouver helps give peace a chance
- Ali Lakhani: “Not a clash of civilizations. A clash of ignorance.”
- Sacred Web Journals – Article by Khalil Andani: The Metaphysics of the Common Word: A Dialogue of Eckhartian and Isma’ili Gnosis
- Sacred Web: Online Articles – The Esoteric World Vision of Nasir Khusraw – by Alice Hunsberger
- M. Ali Lakhani: The Timeless Relevance of Traditional Wisdom
- Towards Informed and Conscientious Media Coverage of Islam by Karim H. Karim | Sacred Web
- Tom Cheetham’s The Corbin Triology reviewed by M. Ali Lakhani
- Esoteric Interpretation in Isma’ilism