Brussels, Belgium, 5 October 2016 – A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the conservation and rehabilitation of Kabul’s key historic areas was signed today on the sidelines of the Conference on Afghanistan in Brussels.
The agreement between the government of Afghanistan, represented by the Ministry of Urban Development, and the Aga Khan Trust for Culture (AKTC) – an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) – encompasses a multi-year partnership for urban planning activities and the implementation of a number of projects that will protect and enhance heritage assets of the capital city. This public/private cooperation aims to further develop aspects of heritage management principles outlined in the Government of Afghanistan’s Urban National Priority Program (UNPP).
Under the agreement, technical assistance will also be made available by AKTC on planning and conservation activities currently being undertaken by the GoIRA in the former Royal Palace and the wider Darulaman precinct.
The MoU extends AKDN’s commitment to preserving Afghanistan’s built heritage and developing sustainable models of urban planning, upgrading and conservation.
With 15 years of direct involvement in preserving more than 120 monuments in multiple regions of Afghanistan, AKTC’s programmes have supported communities living and working around historic sites with new economic and social opportunities through investment in conservation and by providing training and capacity building initiatives.
Related, Aga Khan Trust for Culture
- Telangana government and Aga Khan Trust for Culture sign pact to continue to conserve, develop Qutub Shahi tombs
- Afghanistan: Hope Takes Root
- Shimshal: Pakistan village with a unique system of philanthropy
- Aleppo: A Battered City
- Reconstructing Aleppo: The hidden power of investors | Qantara.de
Conference on Afghanistan in Brussels
- By channeling $1b to Afghanistan, Aga Khan highlights 3 areas in Brussels Conference | Khaama Press
- Government of Afghanistan and the Aga Khan Trust for Culture to rehabilitate Kabul’s historic areas
- Statement by His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)
- Bilateral meeting: Afghan President and His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Photos/Video)
- Afghan President meets His Highness the Aga Khan | Brussels Conference on Afghanistan (Video)