Gordon and Donna Feeney Centre for Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry is a mental health care partnership between Trillium Health Partners, the Hospital for Sick Children, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto), and the University of Toronto.
Shallah Jamal-Somani is a social worker with the hospital for the past fifteen years and now also the first social worker for the Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry Out-Patient Collaborative. Jamal-Somani was the ideal choice for this new, important position because she was a clinician with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mount Sinai Hospital before coming to THP.
Jamal-Somani refers to herself as a “front-line social worker” because she visits the homes of seniors who are living with mental illness. Once there, she gradually builds trust with the seniors and then provides much needed supports, including counselling, education, advocacy, and helps them navigate the health care system they have difficulty with.
“I’m honoured to be a part of such a meaningful program,” says Jamal-Somani. “I love being involved in creating system-wide changes for our seniors with mental illnesses and distressing physical symptoms.”
- Shainoor Khoja: Making healthcare affordable for masses | Khaleej Times
- U.S. migrant children policy and the Safe Third Country Agreement | CBC
- Kiana Rawji Delivers Second TEDx Talk, “Islam Through Many Lenses: A Multi-Story Mindset”
- Rumina Velshi appointed new President and Chief Executive Officer for the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission
- Asifa Lalji: CBC’s Visible Women
- UTEP College of Health Sciences Dean Shafik Dharamsi serves as Scholar in Residence at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Alim Nagji – Leadership in Teaching & Learning Fellowship | McMaster University
- Sayed Anwar: Talented young Afghan-Ismaili student receives recognition from the government
- Reginans walk to end global poverty | Regina Leader-Post
- Eid Day at the Ismaili Jamatkhana, Plano, Texas
- North Texas’ Ismaili Muslim community celebrates end of Ramadan with a donation of 6,000 meals
- Sameeyah Nensi 👣WORLD PARTNERSHIP WALK 👣 2018