Gordon and Donna Feeney Centre for Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry is a mental health care partnership between Trillium Health Partners, the Hospital for Sick Children, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto), and the University of Toronto.
Shallah Jamal-Somani is a social worker with the hospital for the past fifteen years and now also the first social worker for the Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry Out-Patient Collaborative. Jamal-Somani was the ideal choice for this new, important position because she was a clinician with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mount Sinai Hospital before coming to THP.
Jamal-Somani refers to herself as a “front-line social worker” because she visits the homes of seniors who are living with mental illness. Once there, she gradually builds trust with the seniors and then provides much needed supports, including counselling, education, advocacy, and helps them navigate the health care system they have difficulty with.
“I’m honoured to be a part of such a meaningful program,” says Jamal-Somani. “I love being involved in creating system-wide changes for our seniors with mental illnesses and distressing physical symptoms.”
- Public Policy Forum honours Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi as Exemplary Canadian
- Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi’s Easter Sunday Sermon (Audio)
- Dr. Rizwan Alimohammad: Volunteer commits to community
- Singaporean family celebrates child’s birthday by raising funds for Bishkek Children’s Center
- Sajida H. Shroff, CEO, Altamont Group elected President, Harvard Club of the UAE
- Canada 150 Profiles: Karim Ladak
- The nə́c̓aʔmat ct (pronounced “naht-sah-mahtst”) Strathcona library – Project made possible with the help of Ismaili community of B.C.
- Rehan Alimohammad: Sugar Land attorney elected State Bar of Texas board chair
- Iqbal (Nick) Mawani of Go Natural Canada awarded Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- Ugandan Asian Archives Collection Exhibition in Calgary
- Healing Communities through Creative Therapy: Team Parindey aims to cater 1300 citizens from Karachi and Gilgit Baltistan
- Nottingham, UK: Generosity of Ismaili community