Gordon and Donna Feeney Centre for Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry is a mental health care partnership between Trillium Health Partners, the Hospital for Sick Children, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto), and the University of Toronto.
Shallah Jamal-Somani is a social worker with the hospital for the past fifteen years and now also the first social worker for the Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry Out-Patient Collaborative. Jamal-Somani was the ideal choice for this new, important position because she was a clinician with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mount Sinai Hospital before coming to THP.
Jamal-Somani refers to herself as a “front-line social worker” because she visits the homes of seniors who are living with mental illness. Once there, she gradually builds trust with the seniors and then provides much needed supports, including counselling, education, advocacy, and helps them navigate the health care system they have difficulty with.
“I’m honoured to be a part of such a meaningful program,” says Jamal-Somani. “I love being involved in creating system-wide changes for our seniors with mental illnesses and distressing physical symptoms.”
- Nature vs. Nurture: A Conversation with the Founder of NVSN Naim Jutha
- Zoya Surani: Veterans Memorial high school senior converts book into braille
- Alyssa Jamal takes the Pendant
- Technologist Rahman Jamal’s Interview in ELE Times
- Diamond Jubilee Polo Tournament in Yasin valley, Gilgit-Baltistan
- Midwest Aga Khan Youth & Sports Board Annual Cricket Tournament
- Global News TV: Ismaili Muslims launch Civic 150 in celebration of Canada’s sesquicentennial
- Midwest USA Ismaili Boy Scouts – Charity Run
- CTV Calgary: Members of Calgary’s Ismaili Muslim community feed the hungry
- City News Edmonton: Ismailis Pledge One Million Volunteer Hours for Canada
- Canadian Ismaili National Council President’s Message on Ismaili Civic Day in Canada
- Canadian Ismaili Mayor, Naheed Nenshi congratulates the community for volunteering on Ismaili Civic 150 Day