Gordon and Donna Feeney Centre for Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry is a mental health care partnership between Trillium Health Partners, the Hospital for Sick Children, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto), and the University of Toronto.
Shallah Jamal-Somani is a social worker with the hospital for the past fifteen years and now also the first social worker for the Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry Out-Patient Collaborative. Jamal-Somani was the ideal choice for this new, important position because she was a clinician with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mount Sinai Hospital before coming to THP.
Jamal-Somani refers to herself as a “front-line social worker” because she visits the homes of seniors who are living with mental illness. Once there, she gradually builds trust with the seniors and then provides much needed supports, including counselling, education, advocacy, and helps them navigate the health care system they have difficulty with.
“I’m honoured to be a part of such a meaningful program,” says Jamal-Somani. “I love being involved in creating system-wide changes for our seniors with mental illnesses and distressing physical symptoms.”
- Ismaili Muslims of USA Stand Together: Interfaith Thanksgiving celebration underscores the diversity of Fort Bend County Houston
- Girls’ Education as a Pathway to Global Women’s Empowerment: Sajida H. Shroff Speaks at the Harvard University
- Dr. Farida Virani speaks at Indian Merchants Chamber’s Seminar: Skilling for Rural Development and Creating Livelihood
- Almas Jiwani honored by Illuminessence magazine as an inspirational leader illuminating a brighter path for women and girls
- 6 Degrees event video: Citizen Space 2016: Prosperity in Cities: A conversation among Mayors featuring Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi
- 6 Degrees event video: Citizen Space 2016: Calgary’s Mayor Naheed Nenshi shares his experience & ideas on “Inclusion”
- Help 1 year old Kayhan acquire Cystic Fibrosis Vest – GoFundMe by Ali Amiri
- Farhan Mohamed named Vancouver Magazine’s 2016 Most Powerful People
- Bamba Group secure $250,000 (K.Sh 25 million) on Kenya’s Lion’s Den
- Thomson Reuters Sustainability interviews Almas Jiwani: Champion of Gender Equality
- Natasha Walji recognized as one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women in WXN’s Top 100 to Celebrate and Inspire Female Leaders
- Ismaili Boy and Girl Scouts of Midwestern USA Jamat participated in Interfaith Thanksgiving Service