Gordon and Donna Feeney Centre for Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry is a mental health care partnership between Trillium Health Partners, the Hospital for Sick Children, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto), and the University of Toronto.
Shallah Jamal-Somani is a social worker with the hospital for the past fifteen years and now also the first social worker for the Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry Out-Patient Collaborative. Jamal-Somani was the ideal choice for this new, important position because she was a clinician with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mount Sinai Hospital before coming to THP.
Jamal-Somani refers to herself as a “front-line social worker” because she visits the homes of seniors who are living with mental illness. Once there, she gradually builds trust with the seniors and then provides much needed supports, including counselling, education, advocacy, and helps them navigate the health care system they have difficulty with.
“I’m honoured to be a part of such a meaningful program,” says Jamal-Somani. “I love being involved in creating system-wide changes for our seniors with mental illnesses and distressing physical symptoms.”
- Shahzadi Devje: Babies can start eating spices after 6 months — how to introduce it to their diet | Globalnews.ca
- Almas Jiwani Joins Heads of State and Leaders at the Africa 2017 Forum in Egypt
- Asad Sheikh, Head Drum Major, leads Hebron High School (Texas) Marching Band to victory
- Kindness Rock Project
- Local girl, volunteers pack bags for homeless children
- Preparation for Deedar in Hunza
- Sarah Laiwala to Present a Webinar on Professional Development, Building an Innovation Strategy that Works
- Software Engineer, Shaheen Khoja: Coding: A New Literacy
- Jenny Gulamani-Abdulla strives to spread the message of Pluralism in Canada and Abroad
- Local interfaith communities unite in gathering of thanksgiving
- CNN Heroes: Make Your Vote Really Count!
- Salima Rawji: Director of Development for Build Toronto