Gordon and Donna Feeney Centre for Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry is a mental health care partnership between Trillium Health Partners, the Hospital for Sick Children, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto), and the University of Toronto.
Shallah Jamal-Somani is a social worker with the hospital for the past fifteen years and now also the first social worker for the Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry Out-Patient Collaborative. Jamal-Somani was the ideal choice for this new, important position because she was a clinician with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mount Sinai Hospital before coming to THP.
Jamal-Somani refers to herself as a “front-line social worker” because she visits the homes of seniors who are living with mental illness. Once there, she gradually builds trust with the seniors and then provides much needed supports, including counselling, education, advocacy, and helps them navigate the health care system they have difficulty with.
“I’m honoured to be a part of such a meaningful program,” says Jamal-Somani. “I love being involved in creating system-wide changes for our seniors with mental illnesses and distressing physical symptoms.”
- Canadian Ismaili-Muslim MP Arif Virani speaks in Parliament to address systemic racism, religious discrimination, and Islamophobia
- Zahra Pirani: Chair, Young Professionals Group, Association of Consulting Engineering Companies of British Columbia
- A chat with Anar Simpson on Women & Tech – Winner of SDG5 Award at the World Government Summit Conference
- Dr. Kurban Madhani’s Presentation on Central Asian Jamat
- Captain Jameel Janjua shortlisted to become Canada’s next astronaut
- Aly Rahmatullah: Wayzata High School student helps others, named “Volunteer of the Month”
- Memories of Ismaili Brownies and Girl Guides, Nairobi, by Minaz Asani-Kanji
- Podcast: Karim Kanji chats with Salim Naran, Co-founder & CTO, Borrowell
- Lawyer Aleem Bharmal awarded President’s Medal by Canadian Bar Association BC Branch
- AKU President Firoz Rasul is chief guest at 17th Convocation of the Textile Institute of Pakistan
- Celebrating Ambreen Nadeem Rajoktwala – Certified Physician Assistant, University of Texas Medical Branch Class of 2009
- Dr. Nizar Kassam – From Tanzania to India to UK to Australia and Canada