Gordon and Donna Feeney Centre for Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry is a mental health care partnership between Trillium Health Partners, the Hospital for Sick Children, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto), and the University of Toronto.
Shallah Jamal-Somani is a social worker with the hospital for the past fifteen years and now also the first social worker for the Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry Out-Patient Collaborative. Jamal-Somani was the ideal choice for this new, important position because she was a clinician with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mount Sinai Hospital before coming to THP.
Jamal-Somani refers to herself as a “front-line social worker” because she visits the homes of seniors who are living with mental illness. Once there, she gradually builds trust with the seniors and then provides much needed supports, including counselling, education, advocacy, and helps them navigate the health care system they have difficulty with.
“I’m honoured to be a part of such a meaningful program,” says Jamal-Somani. “I love being involved in creating system-wide changes for our seniors with mental illnesses and distressing physical symptoms.”
- Dr Ashnoor Nagji: Vancouver doctor credits leadership program with supporting success
- Interview with Dr. Shahbudin Rahimtoola, Winner of the Lifetime Achievement Award
- World Renowned Pakistani-American Cardiologist Shahbuddin Rahimtoola honored at World Congress of the International Academy of Cardiology
- Toronto’s Nanji Family making a major gift to support eye care initiatives at the University of Toronto
- Obituary: Shahinoor Visram
- University of Calgary Faculty of Nursing researcher Shahirose Premji receives funding for preterm birth study
- Shahirose Premji: Can parent care help improve survival rate of preterm babies?
- Aman Jina appointed Youth Ambassador for SOS Children’s Village BC
- Faizal Khamisa: 2nd annual Sick Kids Toy Drive / Head Shave
- Morrish Pharmacy’s Samim Hasham champions mental health awareness
- Recipes: The rich Indian ice cream, kulfi, is prominent in spicy new cookbook
- Yusuf Esmail and Salim Kanji: A classic family business success story