Gordon and Donna Feeney Centre for Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry is a mental health care partnership between Trillium Health Partners, the Hospital for Sick Children, the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Toronto), and the University of Toronto.
Shallah Jamal-Somani is a social worker with the hospital for the past fifteen years and now also the first social worker for the Seniors’ Medical Psychiatry Out-Patient Collaborative. Jamal-Somani was the ideal choice for this new, important position because she was a clinician with Hamilton Health Sciences and Mount Sinai Hospital before coming to THP.
Jamal-Somani refers to herself as a “front-line social worker” because she visits the homes of seniors who are living with mental illness. Once there, she gradually builds trust with the seniors and then provides much needed supports, including counselling, education, advocacy, and helps them navigate the health care system they have difficulty with.
“I’m honoured to be a part of such a meaningful program,” says Jamal-Somani. “I love being involved in creating system-wide changes for our seniors with mental illnesses and distressing physical symptoms.”
- ‘He’s always guided us’: Dallas-area Ismaili Muslims show their devotion to the Aga Khan | Dallas News
- Canadian Ismaili community surpasses pledge of 1 million service hours | Daily Hive Toronto
- 10-year-old Kiyaan Lavji performs for Canadian Prime Minister at the Ismaili Centre Toronto
- Ismaili Muslim Community Exceeds Its Pledge of One Million Hours of Volunteering Service for Canada
- Salman Bhojani running for Euless City Council, North Texas
- Majlis With Zainub Jenna Bata – Interactive Conversations | Mother of the Nation Festival, Abu Dhabi
- Ismaili Volunteers in Action: Diamond Jubilee Visit, Atlanta, USA
- When there’s a will there’s a way – Nayab Hajimohamed
- Dr Shaf Keshavjee and colleagues at Toronto’s University Health Network make Toronto the top organ transplant program in North America
- Give Life By Donating Blood in the Name of Ismaili – Mississauga
- Shahzadi Devje: What is the keto diet — and is it right for you?
- Peace Hero: Mobina Jaffer, The Canadian Senator Who has been Championing Women in Peace and Security for Years