Readers write to Gulf News
Published: November 14, 2016 Gulf News
Great people never forget their heritage
The great venue of Al Jahili Fort was selected for this sparkling ceremony of the Aga Khan award, which is a great example of Islamic architecture in itself (‘Six projects win Dh3.67m Aga Khan Award’, Gulf News, November 7). It was built by the grandfather of Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, founding father of the UAE, in 1890s. This award was presented by His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai, who’s great visionary strategy has helped bring the UAE to the top in the world, in many fields. The owner of this award is Prince Karim Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of Ismaili Muslims who always speaks about pluralism, Islamic culture and civilisation, global warming, diversity and unity.
This award is presented after every three years and is a great recognition of superior work done in the field of Islamic architecture worldwide. It will keep alive and encourage the building of rich Islamic cultural alliances with modern technology for future, which emerges with great and unique works in architecture showing Muslim civilisation. This is our cherished identity. This award is not working merely on the criteria of architectural structure in itself, but it also highlights those structures that help all surrounding communities from different cultural backgrounds.
Among six winners, three of the awardees were women architects, which is a great example of women’s contribution in every field. Women are working shoulder to shoulder with men and this is a great example of true Islam, which gives full opportunity to women.
Great people and communities never forget their culture and civilisation. The UAE is one among those and all credit goes to our great leaders. Hats off to them.
From Ms Niamat Karmally, Dubai
- Architecture and Plurality | Lars Müller Publishers
- CGTN Africa: Some of the continent’s most creative buildings praised in Dubai
- Why Iran Is Opening Its Doors to Bold Architecture
- Great people never forget their heritage | Gulf News Letters
- 2 AKAA steering committee members make the Blouin Artinfo list of 8 architects who made a mark in 2016
- Aga Khan Award for Architecture 2016 Commemorative Stamp – Al Jahili Fort
- Proudly surveying the work of African architect & AKAA laureate Francis Kéré
- AKAA laureate Francis Kéré’s, architect of simplicity, showcases “Radically Simple” at the Pinakothek der Moderne in Munich, Germany
- Outstanding African projects that were shortlisted for Aga Khan Award for Architecture | Africa News
- Three Muslim Female Architects Won the Prestigious Aga Khan Award For Their Outstanding Projects | MVSLIM
- Turkish Radio and Television Showcase: Aga Khan Architecture Awards
- Mawlana Hazar Imam hosts Aga Khan Award for Architecture dinner and concert at Ismaili Centre Dubai – YouTube