The Lahore Biennale Foundation (LBF) in collaboration with the LUMS School of Education (LUMS SOE) and Harvard South Asia Institute (Harvard SAI) organised an exclusive music and poetry evening. Renowned musician Ali Sethi and Harvard University Professor Mr Ali Asani put together a special set which they performed to an enthralled audience at the Ali Institute of Education.
Entitled ‘Misaq-e-ishq’ (The Covenant of Love) this recital poetry evening highlighted the work of regional masters and Sufi visionaries including Amir Khusroe, Bulleh Shah, Abdul Latif Bhatti and many others. Mr Ali Asani, Professor of Indo-Muslim and Islamic Religion & Cultures at Harvard University, recited from the works and biographies of the aforementioned poets showcasing recurring motifs of “birha” (separation) and “wasl” (union with the beloved).
Throughout the evening, Professor Asani’s readings and recitations were interspersed with musical performances of the poems from classically-trained vocalist and Coke Studio sensation Ali Sethi and his six-member band.
Expressing his love for poetry, Ali Sethi commented, “I first met Professor Ali Asani in 2002. This was a post-9/11 country, a time of alienation and radicalization, and Professor Asani’s emphasis was on humanism and empathy. I can now see that my early exposure to the study of Sufism in Professor Asani’s courses led me into the study of classical music after I graduated and returned to Pakistan. ‘Misaq-e-Ishq’ is a synthesis of those ideas and experiences: an exploration through poetry and music, of the dialogue between humanity and divinity.”
Source: Harvard professor and Coke studio artist pay ode to regional poets at ‘Misaq-e-Ishq’ | Pakistan Today – http://dailytimes.com.pk/life-and-style/19-Jan-17/ali-sethi-pays-ode-to-regional-poets-with-harvard-professor-dr-ali-asani
- Combating Islamophobia through the arts – Professor Ali Asani in Calgary
- Hymns of Wisdom: The Ismaili Ginans of South Asia – Ali Asani
- Harvard Liberal Arts Education Workshop UAE with Professor Ali Asani, moderated by Sajida Shroff
- “Marvi: The Mystic Muse” Film Screening and Discussion with Tanya Panjwani and Professor Ali Asani
- The penitence and redemption of Varas Ismail Gangji of Junagadh, Gujarat
- The Importance of Religious and Cultural Literacy in a Cosmopolitan World: Harvard’s Professor Ali Asani’s Lecture at the Habib University Pakistan
- Harvard professor Ali Asani and Coke studio artist Ali Sethi pay ode to regional poets
- ‘Aesthetic approach of Islam is the way forward’ – Professor Ali Asani of Harvard at Habib University, Pakistan
- Professor Ali Asani at the Aga Khan Museum: Communing with the Divine: Islamic Mystical Traditions and the Arts
- Ali Asani views religious and cultural literacy as essential to the project of democracy | Harvard Crimson
- Rice University, Boniuk Institute – Communities of the Qur’an Conference: Ismaili Engagements with the Qur’an
- Harvard Islam Course (Day 7): Sufi & Ismaili Esoteric Interpretation of the Qur’an and Islamic Art
Previously on Ismailimail…
University of British Columbia and University of Central Asia Collaborate on Earth and Environmental Sciences
Aga Khan Foundation Canada’s CEO Khalil Shariff to present ‘What the World Needs Now: Pluralism’ at Cannexus17 Conference