The company behind the expansion of the Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel in Ottawa has bought one of Toronto’s heritage landmarks. The Dominion Public Building at 1 Front St. W., was purchased by Larco Investments, a Vancouver-based developer for $275.1 million.
The Dominion Public Building was built by architects James Henry Craig and Thomas W. Fuller between 1926 and 1935 on the southeast corner of Front and Bay streets in Downtown Toronto to be a federal customs clearing house. Presently this gorgeous structure houses the Canada Revenue Agency.
For at least a few more years, the Dominion Public Building will continue to do what it’s done since it was completed in 1935: house federal government offices.
But by 2021, the workers will be gone, moved to offices elsewhere in the GTA, and the building will begin its next chapter.
Dated: March/April 2017