“The voices of civil society will reflect and express the growing complexity of society, not as autonomous fragments, but as diversified institutions seeking the common good. And I believe that the voices of civil society can be among the most powerful forces in our time. Where change has been overdue, they can be voices for change. Where people live in fear, they can be voices of hope.”
Mawlana Hazar Imam
Stephen Ogden Lecture at Brown University
Providence, Rhode Island, USA, March 10, 2014
Mawlana Hazar Imam
laid the foundation stone of
- the museum at the Humayun’s Tomb Complex in Delhi, India (2015). Speech
- the Aga Khan University Hospital in Kampala, Uganda (2015). Speech
- meetings in Arusha, Tanzania, in which Trustees from five countries spanning three continents made key decisions to expand the Aga Khan University’s presence as a multidisciplinary university of international standing in the East African region (2014).
- Convocation ceremony of AKU in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania [Video] and Kampala, Uganda [Video] (2015).
- signing ceremony in Gouvieux, France, of an agreement to expand the scope of an existing partnership for the protection, development, and enhancement of Penang’s historic George Town in Malaysia for another three years (2015).
- the opening of a new state-of-the art printing plant of the Nation Media Group – a media house he founded almost sixty years ago (2016). Speech
- the signing of a loan agreement to finance the construction of the Aga Khan Academy Maputo to expand provision of high quality education and to train teachers, supporting economic and social development in Mozambique (2016).
- the Aga Khan Museum and the Ismaili Centre Toronto (2014). Speech
- the restored Amir Aqsunqur “Blue Mosque” in Cairo, Egypt. The restoration was undertaken by Aga Khan Trust for Culture as part of the larger Al-Darb al-Ahmar Urban Regeneration Programme (2015). Speech
- Aga Khan Park, Toronto (2015). Speech
- Naryn campus of the University of Central Asia and Seitaaly Jakypov Park in Naryn restored by Aga Khan Trust for Culture (2016). Speech
- the international headquarters of the Global Centre for Pluralism in Ottawa, Canada with David Johnston, Governor General of Canada (2017). Speech
- the president of the World Bank Group Dr. Jim Yong Kim, to discuss poverty alleviation (2014).
- Germany’s foreign minister, Frank-Walter Steinmeier, to discuss cooperation between the German government and the AKDN (2014).
- UN High Commissioner for Refugees António Guterres to discuss past and future cooperation in emergency operations around the world (2015).
- delegation from the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic in London, during a four-day visit to the United Kingdom focused on multi-dimensional aspects of secular and religious education (2016).
- the President of the Republic of Madagascar, in Paris, France, to discuss development in Madagascar, where the AKDN operates a number of programmes (2016).
- a joint session of parliament in Ottawa at the invitation of the Right Honorable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada (2014). Speech
- participants at the 88th Stephen A. Ogden Jr Memorial Lecture on International Affairs in Providence, Rhode Island, USA (2014). Speech
- Summit on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health in Toronto, Canada (2014). Speech
- Athens Democracy Forum on the International Day of Democracy (2015). Video
- conference marking the 50th anniversary of the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS) in London, UK (2015). Video
- Samuel L. and Elizabeth Jodidi Lecture at Harvard University’s Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, titled The Cosmopolitan Ethic in a Fragmented World (2015). Video
- Supporting Syria and the Region Conference in London, pledging that the AKDN will expand its activities in Syria over the next four years (2016). Speech
- Africa 2016 conference. Speech
- Brussels Conference on Afghanistan co-hosted by the European Union and the government of Afghanistan (2016). Video
- a Protocol of Understanding in Ottawa with Prime Minister Stephen Harper, committing Canada and the Ismaili Imamat to regular, high-level consultations on a range of global and regional issues (2014).
- an agreement between the Province of Ontario and the Ismaili Imamat for cooperation in a number of areas including culture and education (2015).
- an agreement in Lisbon, between the Republic of Portugal and the Ismaili Imamat for the establishment of a formal Seat of the Ismaili Imamat in Portugal (2015).
- an agreement between the Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education of the Portuguese Republic and the Ismaili Imamat to strengthen research capacity and to improve the quality of life in Portugal and in Portuguese-speaking countries, particularly in Africa (2016).
- the Charter of Aga Khan University from His Excellency President Jakaya Kikwete at State House in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, marking the first time such recognition has been accorded to a foreign institution of higher learning (2015).
- the Adrienne Clarkson Prize for Global Citizenship (2016).
- the Order of Danaker from the President of the Kyrgyz Republic Almazbek Atambayev (2016). Video
- an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Letters by The Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, the oldest humanities research institute in Canada, in recognition of his work to advance, and advocate for, pluralistic societies across the globe (2016)
- the 2017 Architectural League of New York’s President’s Medal to recognise his work in the field of architecture, and on the fortieth anniversary of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture.
Mawlana Hazar Imam
- introduced Justice Albie Sachs at Annual Pluralism Lecture (2016).
- presented awards of the Aga Khan Award for Architecture in Al-Ain, UAE (2016). Speech
- attended the Safeguarding Endangered Cultural Heritage conference in Abu Dhabi, UAE (2016). Ismailimail
- celebrated his 80th birthday with members of his family and global Jamati leaders in Aiglemont, France (2016). Video.
- contributed Euros 500,000 towards the support of victims of the deadly forest fire in Pedrógão Grande in central Portugal (2017).
“My wish for the decades ahead is that you stand firmly by the principles and ethics of our faith. Wherever you are, whatever age you are, whatever you do in your lives, it is essentially important to me that the principles of our faith should be respected everyday of your lives. This is my hope and this is my prayer.
As we look ahead, the Jamat is likely to become more and more a global community. But the essence of the Jamat, the ethics of our faith, the principles which we believe in and which we seek to practice in our lives are the essence of how our community will stay united….
I hope that in the decades ahead, you will remember this occasion as one of special happiness, as I do.”
Mawlana Hazar Imam
Aiglemont, December 16, 2016
Diamond Jubilee of Mawlana Hazar Imam – July 11, 2017
Selected world events
- Scientists successfully cloned human stem cells (2013), with the same process used to create Dolly, the famous cloned sheep, in 1996.
- Pope Benedict XVIannounced his retirement (2013), becoming the first pope to do so since 1415, stepping down on February 28, 2013. Vatican Radio. Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina, who chose the name Francis, was elected as the new Pope, becoming the first from Latin America and the first Jesuit Pope.
- Migrant crisis of Europe -a rising number of refugees journeyed to Europe to seek asylum (2015).
- SpaceX successfully landed part of its Falcon 9 rocket on a drone ship, in Atlantic Ocean (2016).
- Brexit – Britain voted to leave the European Union (2016).
- NASA spacecraft successfully entered Jupiter’s orbit (2016).
- Scientists uncovered 7.2 million-year-old fossils in Greece and Bulgaria (2017).
Compiled by Nimira Dewji