Built in 1892 by Sultan Muhammad Shah Aga Khan III in Pune, Aga Khan Palace today holds great historical importance for its connection with Mahatma Gandhi and his associates. Gandhi, along with his wife Kasturba Gandhi, his secretary Mahadev Desai and Sarojini Naidu had interned at the palace from 9 August 1942 to 6 May 1944.
Donated by Aga Khan IV in 1969 to India, it currently houses Gandhi’s memorial, Kasturba and Desai’s samadhis and archives of photos and portraits of Gandhi during the freedom struggle, among others. In 1980, the Gandhi National Memorial Society took over as the governing body and has been working towards making Aga Khan Palace into a living memorial of ‘Ba and Bapu’.
The society conducts several activities and events throughout the year to bring out a meaningful and close relationship with the visitors.
Read more – Dated: July 04, 2017