The first ever publication on Clinical Breast Evaluations where Aga Khan Health Services Tajikistan staff was listed as a primary authors (Roziya Buribekova et al) was published on-line in the January 2018 issue of Journal of Global Oncology. It is a stepping stone for Breast Cancer and Women’s Health awareness efforts in Gorno Badakshan Autonomous Oblast (GBAO).
A milestone event for the efforts of the Aga Khan Health Board USA and the Aga Khan Services Tajikistan, a partnership dedicated to improving the health and well-being of women in GBAO.
The lessons published in this journal will be replicated in other health systems worldwide.
The most insightful findings from the article are listed below:
- The Aga Khan Health Board (AKHB) USA team trained 28 Family Medicine Doctors (FMD) and 25 FMN (FM Nurses), including 6 FMN master-trainers.
- The AKHSTj master-trainers trained 147 FMN in clinical breast evaluation (CBE).
- AKHB USA/AKHSTj team conducted CBE on approx. 500 women (as part of the joint training).
- AKHSTj staff independently conducted CBE on nearly 3000 women across the mountainous districts of GBAO !!
- The overall outcome: 20% abnormal CBE, 2.6% of which revealed breast cancer (0.5% of screened women were found to have breast cancer, similar to what one would find in a randomly screen population).
- All women went on to receive appropriate diagnostic and treatment recommendations and planned follow-up for medical management.