“We are honouring an exceptional man. We are honouring a great friend of humanity, a courageous visionary, a builder of bridges between religions and society.
His Excellency Dr. Frank Walter Steinmeier, German Foreign Minister, on presenting the 2006 Tolerance Award of the Evangelical Academy of Tutzing, Germany – May 20, 2006
The Constellation of Accolades represents the various appointments, awards, honours, and tributes His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan has been endowed with over the course of his 56 years Imamat. Spanning various areas of human endeavor, addressing multiple and complex issues, these accolades are a testimony of the esteem, influence, respect and support the Aga Khan commands the world over.
We have introduced this post with a quote from Germany’s Foreign Minister to capture the sentiment echoed the world over.
Additional quotes from the Aga Khan reflect the mandate of his responsibilities.
The Constellation of Accolades Matrix is a work in progress and by no means captures the total extent of the Aga Khan’s work. We encourage further investigation by our patrons to uncover the scope of the Aga Khan’s contribution to humanity.
The matrix in summary, reiterates the accolades via breakdown by country.
- 28 Title & State Decorations;
- 21 Honorary Degrees from universities representing the US Ivy League, Canadian Group of 13, UK’s Russell Group, and others;
- 16 Civic Honours including Honorary Citizenship of Canada and several “Key to the City” & “Freedom of the City”;
- 12 Fellowships and Executive Appointments representing 9 investures as Foreign Member to several state academies (for the creation of new knowledge – promoting research and stimulating the enhancement of thought, literature, language and other forms of national culture) and 3 Leadership posts at influential European Institutions to promote diplomacy, culture and development;
- 30 Awards spanning domains such as architecture and the built environment, restoration and the revival of culture, education, health, diplomacy and peace, philanthropy, sports, corporate enterprise;
- 73 Keynote/Presidential Addresses to various UN organizations, several government organizations including parliaments, and other international organizations; and
- 54 Commemorative Stamps issued by 11 different National Philatelic Societies to mark the Aga Khan’s significant events and milestone.
Aga Khan IV – Constellation of Accolades Matrix
“When I assumed the responsibilities of the Imamat in 1957, I was eager — as I still am — to see that the countries where my followers live are sound and stable, that they are countries with clear development horizons, countries where, following my grandfather’s example, I could help to underwrite the integrity of the state and to contribute to improving the quality of life for all communities, not just my own. I hoped to help bridge the gulf between the developed and the developing worlds. This aspiration, I felt, was particularly appropriate to the Imamat because of its commitment to broad social objectives without political connotations, save in its concern for the fundamental freedom of its followers to practise the faith of their choice.
His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan at the dinner hosted by the Council for Malaysia and Singapore, Singapore – January 9, 1983
“The ethics of Islam enjoin all believers, individually or through institutions such as the Ismaili Imamat, to assist the poor, the isolated, and the marginalised to improve their current circumstances and future prospects.
Through the Imamat, I have tried to respond to this responsibility by creating a group of private, non-denominational agencies the Aga Khan Development Network – to respond to the needs and potential of people living in some of the poorest parts of the world, irrespective of their gender, ethnicity, or religion.”
His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan, World Mountain Forum UNESCO, Paris, France – June 5, 2000
Inviting curiosity, additional research reveals that the Aga Khan has also had notable engagements at the International Global Zero Summit against Nuclear Weapons, in addition to expanding regional framework of drug-control cooperation against illicit drug trafficking in Central Asia with the Russian Federation. These are but two examples of activities that are not captured with the matrix. We shall endeavor to bring these and many other findings to light in our future series.
As a point of departure, we conclude with a citation to His Highness Prince Aga Khan:
“By your peerless example of tolerance and compassion, we are proud to have you count as a member of the University of Toronto family … it is deeply moving and appropriate for us to welcome as an honorary graduate a man who is perhaps the only person in the world to whom everyone listens.”
– the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, Canada’s 26th Governor General
His Highness Prince Aga Khan was bestowed with the degree of Doctor of Sacred Letters, honoris causa, by University of Toronto’s Trinity College exactly three month to this date.
The context by which the Constellation of Accolades Matrix has been conceived is to inform and inspire the audience of the works of His Highness Prince Karim Aga Khan a direct descendant of the Prophet Mohammed, peace be upon him.
Aga Khan’s Constellation of Accolades – Over 200 honors from 50 countries has been exclusively prepared for Ismailimail by ASJM.
The content of this post is exclusively written for Ismailimail. No distribution is permitted without permission. Contact the blog owners at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are seeking permission to reproduce the material.
Accelerate your awareness, via
- Aga Khan Development Network – AKDN is a contemporary endeavour of the Ismaili Imamat to realise the social conscience of Islam through institutional action.
- Amaana – Amaana (meaning Trust – 20 year old website) is a website with collections of articles on spirituality and technology, art and faith with a focus Shia Ismaili history and personalities.
- Heritage Society – First Ismaili Electronic Library and Database – The oldest web site (~ 25 years old) dedicated to H.H. The Aga Khan and Ismailism.
- Institute of Ismaili Studies – IIS promote scholarship of Muslim cultures and societies, historical as well as contemporary, leading to a better understanding of their relationship with other societies and faiths.
- Ismā‘īlī Gnosis – Ismā‘īlī Gnosis is a study of classical Shī‘ī Ismā‘īli Muslim philosophy and other esoteric traditions including metaphysics, philosophy, history, theology, cosmology, esoteric interpretation (ta’wīl), spirituality, comparative studies and eschatology.
- Ismailimail – An archive of all the past, present and future openly available news, articles, pictures, videos, and everything related to Ismaili Muslims and community for easy search and reference.
- NanoWisdoms Archive – a unique website dedicated solely to the Ismaili Imamat’s speeches, interviews and writings – over 400 speeches, 100 interviews, 80 written works, and 1000 quotes.
- Simerg – Insights from Around the World – With a particular focus on the cultural, intellectual and textual expressions of the Ismailis and related Muslim traditions.
- The Ismaili – The official website of the Global Ismaili Muslim Community.